Chapter 21: Hatred

Start from the beginning

John rested his head against his cuffs, unable to hold his head up. He felt the dull ache drain out into a familiar emotion.

He found himself switching between two states quite often; complete numbness and pure rage. There was no in between.

It was like flicking a light switch. One second, he'd feel nothing and the next, he'd feel everything.

This time, John couldn't help the anger that began pulsing through him like poison.

'Why...?' he wondered.

John bit his lip, flinching as he tasted the metallic liquid that had dried to his lips. He wanted to scream, to do something to let this unpleasant emotion free.

But he couldn't.

Instead, all John could do was sit there as his anger ate him away.

'WHY?!'

John violently yanked at his wrists which had now begun to bruise. His anger was practically boiling within him as his thoughts ran wild. 'F*ck you Arlo...! F*ck you and everything you stand for! If it wasn't for you and your obsessive bullsh*t, I wouldn't be stuck here again! You and your lackeys did NOTHING worthwhile when you all had your titles yet you expect me to fix your sh*t the second I'm forced back into a position I don't want?!'

John continued to tug at his restraints. 'I didn't want to be king! I didn't want the stupid throne! So why?! Why does this keep happening?! Why am I always the one who somehow f*cks up even though I did everything everyone else told me to do?!'

Tears glide down his cheeks. His anger ebbed away into another emotion, one he rarely tried to address. 'Why is it whenever I try to fix sh*t, nothing ever works...?'

John tried...he really did try.

He came to Wellston to start over, to be a better person than he was before. He laid low, refrained from using his powers, even tried to help others. It sucked that he got sent to the infirmary on a daily basis, but he would've rather taken that over becoming a monster again.

That's when he met her...

John never knew just how much he could connect with a person.

Meeting Seraphina had been a blessing in disguise. For the first time in years, he was genuinely happy with her.

But what use was all of that now? It didn't matter how close they were or had been.

All she sees him now is this tyrant, this freak.

Just like Claire...

John grit his teeth as memories of the duel braided girl flashed to mind.

He couldn't even begin to describe how much he despised the greenette.

The ravenette loathed her. He hated that he couldn't sleep at night thanks to her.

He couldn't stand how his flashbacks revolved around their final confrontation and how even when people tried to help him, it was always her waiting there for him.

Claire had practically become John's shadow. He would never really take notice of the girl, knowing she was still there, but when he finally did see her, he wanted to run away from it like a confused child.

But no matter how much he ran, no matter where he hid, she was always with him.

With Seraphina, she helped him focus. She helped him realize that he shouldn't be so fixated on something he can't control anymore.