Dentist

Michael
Today was a busy day. I didn't know why but we seemed to have a lot more patients than usual, and with more problems.

But next I was seeing a new patient: Ellie Leigh. It was her first dentist appointment and I was always wary about those.

Some kids were perfectly fine with the whole thing, but most were not.

However, I'd been seeing her older sister, Matilda, for a few years now and she was also having a check up during the appointment.

Their mother, Crystal, had gone to high school with me and though we didn't speak much anymore, it was nice to see her.

It was time for their appointment so I made my way to the waiting room.

They were there, reading one of the children's books, and thankfully neither of the kids were looking nervous. Not yet anyway.

"Matilda and Ellie Leigh," I called and the family got up and made their way over to me, Crystal carrying Ellie.

I led them back to the exam room, exchanging pleasantries on the way.

"How have you been doing?" I asked as I took a seat on my stool by my computer. Crystal sat down in one of the two chairs by the door, holding Ellie in her lap whilst Matilda took the other seat.

"Very well thank you. You?" Crystal asked in return.

"Good, yeah, busy with work," I chuckled, pulling up Matilda's file.

"Now who is going first?" I asked.

"Me!" Matilda exclaimed, jumping up from her chair.

"Ok," I smiled at her enthusiasm "Take a seat for me."

Matilda skipped over to the chair, sitting down and getting comfortable.

"And how are you?" I asked her "It's been awhile since I've seen you."

"Good," she smiled "It was my birthday last week."

"It was? How exciting. How old are you now?"

"8!" She told me, holding up that many fingers.

"Wow, you're getting all grown up."

"Yeah," she giggled. "I'm learning about the Egyptians at school."

"You are?" I spoke as I lowered the chair. "Tell me your favourite fact that you've learnt."

"Erm," Matilda thought for a moment as I pulled on a pair of gloves followed by a mask which I rested under my chin. "They wrote in hieroglyphs which means 'sacred carvings' and there were over 700 of them! I learnt how to write my name."

"700? That must have been very hard to remember."

"Yeah" she laughed.

"Did you know, the Egyptians also invented toothpaste?" I said, pulling the tray of tools over the front of the chair. "It was made from salt, flowers, pepper and mint."

"Ew," Matilda said, scrunching up her nose "That sounds disgusting. I'm happy we don't have that."

"Me too," I smiled "Have you been using your toothpaste at home?"

"Yep."

"And who brushes your teeth? You or Mummy?"

"Me, all by myself," Matilda smiled proudly.

"Do you think I could take a look, to see how well you've been brushing?" I asked, returning her smile. Matilda was surprisingly comfortable at the dentist. She always had been and I could only hope Ellie would be the same.