chapter twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

"Yes," I whisper so only she can hear me.

She grips my forearm tightly, smiling widely, and it's all I need for the excitement to return. I don't know what I was expecting her to say, Isla's been nothing but supportive. And when I lift my gaze to look at the blonde across the table, I worry how I tell her the truth. How do I tell her without hurting her? Or worse, making things awkward between us?

"I'll be right back," Isla says, standing up suddenly. "Robby, come with?"

I shoot her a look as I get up to my feet, excusing myself with her as she leads the way toward the back of the restaurant. I hurry to her side, reaching for her bicep to slow her down to keep up pace with her. "Subtle."

She rolls her eyes as she pulls me into the bathroom, turning towards me the moment we're alone. "Spill. Right now."

"We had sex," I say, my eyes widening at the blunt statement that falls from my lips as I bring my hand up to cover my mouth. Isla's fill with excitement as she steps towards me.

"What?"

I bob my head, dropping my hand from my mouth. "I'm not repeating myself."

"Robyn Louise Lloyd!" She gives me a look, resting her hand on her hip. "What do you mean you had sex?"

"I mean, we had sex."

"What happened to it being too complicated?"

I shrug my shoulders, chewing my bottom lip. "I don't know. We uncomplicated it."

She narrows her eyes.

"Okay, so, maybe I was the problem," I say. "I don't know... when we got home, he just looked at me, and told me I was beautiful, and something just changed. Suddenly the rest didn't matter, just him, and god, I am so happy."

"You're glowing."

"I don't know about that."

"I do." She reaches for my arm, turning me towards the mirror. "That is the face of a girl falling in love and falling hard."

"It's been a day."

"And you've been crushing on him for the last four years," she tells me.

"Okay, maybe, I am."

"Glad you can see that," she says, nudging me with her arm. "What does this mean?"

"I don't know." I shake my head, biting lightly on my bottom lip. "We were planning to spend all day together in bed, and probably would have gotten around to talking about what comes next, but then he got called to the label for a meeting."

"Okay, new question," she says, turning to face me. "What do you want to happen?"

"I want to see where this goes."

"And you're going to tell him that, right?"

"I'm going to try."

"Don't try," she says. "Be the Robyn Lloyd, I know and love, that goes for what she wants and doesn't let anything get in her way. I've missed her."

A happy sigh falls from my lips as I wrap my arms around her, leaning my head against hers. "You can't tell anyone about this yet, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," she says. "But once you get things figured out with Greyson, you have to tell Stevie, okay? Don't avoid her."

"I won't."

"Good," she says and offers me her arm. "We should get back to the table."

"Yeah, you're probably right."

A snicker falls from Isla's lips as we make our way back to the table, just in time to see Greyson and Jonas stepping into the restaurant. He shoots me a knowing look, and I can barely breathe as we return to our seats just as they join the table.

"Sorry, we're late," Greyson says, settling into the empty seat next to Emmy.

Part of me was hoping he'd sit next to me, but before I can get too down by it, I feel his foot nudge my leg and my heart skips in my chest when he looks at me. Is this what I have to look forward to? Excitement filling my belly with butterflies anytime he looks at me? I had expected them to go away once I had him, and while they're different, they haven't left. He excites me. The idea of him enough to send me spiraling out of control.

"How was your meeting?" Felix asks from the opposite end of the table as Jonas sits down next to me, apparently having invited himself along.

"Good," Greyson says. "Really good."

"Oh yes, please do share about this meeting of yours," Emmy says as she leans onto her elbow, turning her head with an amused look in her eyes. "Robyn wouldn't tell us anything."

"I already said because I didn't know," I say with a laugh.

"Okay, sure, but he's here now." Emmy looks between us. "Grey?"

"I've got some news."

"News," Jonas says as he rolls his eyes next to me. "I'd say being signed as Sunset Records' newest artist is a little more than just news."

"What?" Stevie gasps. "What is he talking about?"

"I worked on a song with Jonas, and we gave it to the label," Greyson explains, downplaying what I know is huge news. "And they liked it."

"Greyson's being modest," Jonas says, leaning forward. "They loved it."

"Okay, yeah." Greyson nods. "They loved it, and they want me on the label as an artist."

"That's..." Emmy trails off, a grin spreading across her lips as she leans over and wraps her arms around him. "I'm so proud of you."

"My brother, the rock star," Isaac says from across the table. "That's awesome, Grey."

"Thanks," he says, nervously scratching the back of his neck as he drops his eyes. "There are a few conditions to the deal though."

"Like what?" I ask.

"Mainly to my contact," Jonas says, looking across at Greyson. "Now that we're a duo."

"Wait, you guys are going to be a band?" Micah asks, leaning forward in his seat.

Greyson nods. "They're looking for something fresh, and they think me and Jonas can give it to them. They want us to put together an extended play with all new songs."

"Are you still going to produce?" Felix asks.

"That is the plan."

"You're just full of surprises, aren't you?" Emmy grins next to him. "I think that calls for a round of drinks, wouldn't you say?"

"Meaning you and Greyson?" Jonas asks, the rest of us below the legal age.

"I'll get you some apple juice," she says, earning a few laughs before they're bombarded with more questions about their future at the label. My lips curl up because I'm so thrilled for them, and what this means for their future, but when I turn my head, all I find is Greyson's eyes on me and it settles my heart, knowing that look is just for me.

We're good together. Better than good.

We're great together, and I'm happy. So happy and he's the source of it all. The emotional tether keeping me grounded while driving me to insanity. For someone that was just a friend a day ago, I suddenly can't imagine a day where I don't have those eyes on me.

My happy ending.

It's been here all along, and I'm never taking it for granted ever again.