chapter four

WHEN I WAKE up the next morning, it's to the sound of birds chirping and I immediately wish I hadn't opened the window in the middle of the night. The sound of birds now making me want to scream as I bury my face into the softness of my plush pillows before rolling out of bed. My feet touch down on the cold wood floor as I stand, lifting my arms out to stretch out my back as I walk towards the door.

My mind is foggy as I open the door to my room and step into the hallway. It's not until I hear voices, and the clearing of one's voice that I remember where I am and what I'm wearing after taking off my sweatpants before bed. My eyes widen when I spot Greyson in the kitchen, holding a mug up to his lips and a girl sitting on the barstool on the other side of the island, both their attention on me and my lack of clothing.

"Forget to tell me something, Grey?" The dark-haired girl asks, turning her attention to him as my face flushes in embarrassment. I immediately make a beeline into the bathroom and slam the door shut as I sink into it. My eyes squeeze shut as I press my forehead into the wood finish on the door and let out a breath of air.

Turning my head, I peer at my appearance in the mirror and pull on the hem of my cropped white muscle tee in hopes it'll somehow magically become longer. All I have on is it and a pair of panties, leaving very little to the imagination. And for the second time since I stepped into this apartment, my chest swells with nerves. The girl in the kitchen is gorgeous and definitely in Greyson's league. My worst thought taking me directly toward girlfriend, because of course he has a girlfriend.

"Robyn?"

"Go away, Greyson," I mumble through the door as I lean into my embarrassment, hoping to melt away and never face him again.

"Robyn, come on!" He turns the knob and nudges the door open when I lean all of my weight back into it, forcing it shut again. "It's not as bad as you think it is."

I can hear his laugh through the door, and it makes me want to sink into the floor. "Then why are you laughing?"

"I'm not laughing." He stops immediately, only to snicker seconds later.

"Yes, you are!"

"I'm not," he assures me. "You don't have any reason to be embarrassed."

"Greyson, you're making it so much worse." I lean my head against the door, desperately wishing that I could be anywhere else. "Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?"

"Because I don't?" he says through the door, and I'm hit with a dumb rush of relief. "Will you come out now? You've got nothing to worry about."

"No."

"Okay, you leave me no choice then."

My eyebrows pull together in confusion, fully expecting him to put all his force on the door and make me open it, but instead, I hear the sound of a buckle. I'm left even more confused, but my curiosity gets the best of me as I open the door a crack. A smile breaking across my lips as I bite back a laugh when I see his pants around his ankles.

"There," he says, his hand held over his eyes. "Now we're even."

"You're dumb."

"You feel better though, don't you?"

I can't stop myself from smiling as he peeks at me between his fingers. "Yes."

"Good."

"I'm going to get dressed now," I say, opening the door fully and with his eyes still covered, he side steps to let me pass.

"Good idea."

It feels like my lungs are on fire as I hover near the wall, keeping close to it as I approach my door and step inside as quickly as possible. I want to throw up as I rub my clammy palms over my bare legs, drying them off before flopping back into bed. It couldn't have been a worse start to my morning, but then a smile creeps onto my lips at the effort he put in to ease my embarrassment.