"Isn't she beautiful, man?"

"Last I checked, I'm a woman

"Last I checked, I'm a woman.."

"You know what I mean."

"Dude, you've been crushing on her for how long? Shoot your shot already."

"I ain't 'crushing', that's middle school stuff."

"So take your grown ass over there and ask her on a date. What is she gonna do, reject you?"

"Shit, maybe."

"I'm gonna look into this case, you do that and let me know how it turns out." I pushed him towards her before walking off.

~

"I'm so exhausted." Jackson complained as we exited the hospital.

He buckled Rae in his car, tightening the straps before shutting the door.

"You gonna pull those papers out, too?"

"That isn't fair.." he scoffed.

"Me being ambushed is?"

"I didn't know she was gonna do it this morning."

"You knew it was coming, though. A warning would have been nice."

"I don't get why you're so upset."

I rolled my eyes, turning to go to my car. He grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

"Talk to me."

"Is this because you don't trust me or maybe you think you're gonna cheat again.. Tell me why, Jackson! You think I'm gonna take all your money and leave? What is it?"

"It has nothing to do with my trust in you. This is faith in my own judgment, I know we'll always be together.."

"This was your mom's idea, then, right?" He stood quiet, looking off.

"You don't have to sign it, okay? I don't care whether you do or don't because I am still marrying you tonight."

"Tonight?"

"Yes. I've learned that words are only words, actions are proof so let me prove it to you that I don't care about this prenup. I have a couple calls I can make, we'll be legal before 11:59."

"You're serious?"

"As a heart attack."

Banging sounded on the window from inside his car. Rae had managed to climb out of her carseat. She was smiling at us before licking the window.

"Of course after I find someone to watch the demon."

"How did she..." I was shocked.

"Let's go before she figures out how to open the door."

~

We were officially in for the night and a married couple. Jackson picked up Lyla, who occupied Rae the entire time. He later dropped her off and came home; we celebrated the marriage license in front of us.

I checked the baby monitor, making sure Rae was still asleep. We were on our second bottle of wine with empty cups again.

"That is one nasty throat tumor. En bloc resection?" I asked, looking at his computer.

"Ugh, God. Maybe. Got a patient up at the, uh, Avery hospital in Montana. I might have to go out there for a consult." He sighed.

I took his computer, looking at the tumor. My eyes wandered the screen landing on a tab that said Robert Avery.

I looked up at Jackson who was pouring wine in a glass with his back turned to me. I clicked on the tab, seeing an older white man.

"How'd you get the consult in Montana?" I questioned.

"The hospital called. They've seen my work so they thought I could help."

"Right, and is that all you're going for?" He nervously chuckled.

"Yeah. I don't- I don't know anybody in Montana." I stale faced him.

"You sure you didn't take this consult just so you can see your dad?" He sighed, sitting our glasses on the table then plopping next to me.

"Okay, look, I didn't wanna say anything. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna actually talk to the guy."

"Yet, you're making a trip there."

"It's nothing. I wanna get some answers but, I don't even know if he'll have them. There's only one way to find out."

Small cries erupted from the baby monitor. He looked at the man on the screen, shaking his head before going to comfort a fussy Raegan..