Chapter 2

Getting situated on the farm was going better than I expected. I spent some quality time with Grandma Em and Grandpa Henry, training Chase, helped the farm hands a bit with their chores, played around with Mom's old guitar, took some pictures of my new home, and baking with some of the fruits from the harvest. Nothing could bring me down. 

Actually, I'm lying there's one thing that got me down. The worst, the cruelest, the last legal form of child torture to exist...school. 

Today was my first day of eight grade. Grandma Em told me that she had me enrolled in Smallville Junior High.  Knowing that I could never make school be outlawed, I pulled my self out of bed and got dressed, hoping that no one would make fun of my taste in clothes along with my being the new kid.

  Knowing that I could never make school be outlawed, I pulled my self out of bed and got dressed, hoping that no one would make fun of my taste in clothes along with my being the new kid

Coming down stairs, I made sure that Chase had  his food then sat down with Grandma Em and Grandpa Henry for breakfast , and I quickly learned after looking at my plate that Grandma Em thought I was a Romanian power lifter.

"Ready for you first day, Dotty," Grandpa Henry asks me with a whole bunch of food shoved in his mouth. As I tired not to get grossed out by the sight, I tell him "Ready, yes. Excited, definitely not." "Don't worry Hon," Grandma Em tells me putting a comforting hand on my shoulder and giving me an assuring smile, "You'll make tons of new friends in no time." "Hate to break it to you Grandma Em, but it's hard to make new friends when you never had any old friends to begin with" I tell her, realizing that before all of this, if I didn't have Mom in my life, I would've been truly alone in the world. Now  I have to learn how to not be that without her.

Breakfast quickly became such an awkward affair that when it was time to catch the bus, I couldn't get out of the house fast enough. Luckily, when I got on the bus there was once empty spot left, as if it was just waiting for me so I could avoid trying to force a conversation with someone. Once I sat down, I just looked out the window, trying to figure out I can spend the entire year flying under the radar when all of a sudden I feel someone sit down next to me. Then all that was going through my mind was "Please don't say anything to me. Please don't say anything to me." But unfortunately, fate had other plans for me. "Hi" the masculine voice said. I knew it would be rude if I didn't at least acknowledge his presence, so I turned my head around with the intention of just having and and turning back round as if nothing happened, but again fate had other plans the minute my head turned.

 I knew it would be rude if I didn't at least acknowledge his presence, so I turned my head around with the intention of just having and and turning back round as if nothing happened, but again fate had other plans the minute my head turned

This kid had to be probably the handsomest human being to ever grace the face of the Earth. And oh my gosh his eyes. It was like staring into the open sea. Suddenly I was unable to form words for a completely different reason, but I would be fine as long as he doesn't...."You must be new to Smallville, I've never seen you before. My name's Clark Kent,  what's your name?" "CRAP!!!!!!!" my brain shouted. I don't know what was worse the fact that I now had to engage in conversation with another human being or the fact I was having a total brain fart in front a cute boy.

Just as I was wishing that a black hole would form in the bottom of the bus and swallow me whole, I remembered that I put my name on my notebooks, so pulled one out and pointed to the name on it, hoping he would understand. I saw him read the name and thankfully grasp what I was trying to convey. "Nice to meet you Dorothy Sawyer." He tells me, offering a kind and welcoming smile. "You don't say much do you?" I shook my head no, feeling somehow embarrassed and thankful that he was able to pick up on it. "It's okay if you don't want to talk to me, I'm used to no one wanting to talk to me," he says as his smile fades away and his head turns to the ground, making me feel like I was the worlds biggest jerk.

I so desperately wanted to tell him that wasn't the case at all, but the words would not come out of my mouth to save my life. I felt like I was Ariel trying to tell Prince Eric that she's the girl who saved him from drowning (Clark actually kinda looks like him, NOT THE POINT DOROTHY!) So instead I took his hand and offered him a smile as he turned over to look at me.

We may not have said a single word to each other after that, but looking into each others eyes, we ended up conveying so much.

When the bus pulled up to the school Clark got off first, turned back to me and said "Welcome to Smallville Dorothy, I hope I get to see you around," then proceeded to walk into the school.

I wish I had some courage, because if I did he would've hear me say, "I hope to see you around too." But instead, like the cowardly lion I am, I only whispered it when he got out of ear shot.

I could only get off the bus and hope that fate would give me a second chance at being able to talk to Clark.

(A/N: Hey guys, thanks for the reads. I hope this chapter wasn't too awkward. Dorothy, aka Dot met Clark, yay! In case anyone was wondering Dorothy is a painfully shy girl when she's not around her family, so when she's not with her grandparents she's pretty much as quiet as a church mouse. Maybe Clark can help her with that. In the next chapter is the bus accident, so be sure to look out for that. TTFN, ta-ta for now!)