Chapter 9

Clark didn't make it easy to avoid him. He came over to the house, tried calling me, but I couldn't face him. How could I? If I hadn't gone back to the car to grab our dogs, Mr. Kent wouldn't have followed me, and Clark would still have his Dad. I was sure that's why he was so determined to talk to me, to tell me how I ruined his life and to stay out of it forever.

But as much as I wanted to avoid Clark, I wanted to pay my respects to Mr. Kent even more. So I went with Grandma Em and Grandpa Henry to Mr. Kent's funeral, so I could properly apologize for being the cause of his death.

Mrs. Kent was the first one to see me and come up to me. "I'm so glad you're here Dot." she said as she hugged me. I didn't say anything. I was confused, wasn't she supposed to hate me, slap me, and tell me that I had  a lot of nerve showing my face here? "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Kent." I said as I got choked up, "This is all my fault. I never should've gone back to the car." "Dorothy Amelia Sawyer, you listen to me. This was not your fault. Nobody knew what was going to happen that day. But the one thing I know for sure is that John would not want you blaming yourself for what happened. Do you understand me?" She said to me. I nodded my head because I was afraid that the only thing that would come out of my mouth would be more sobs. 

After she and I spoke it was time for the service. I kept my head down most of the time. Despite what Mrs. Kent said to me, I still didn't have the courage to look Clark in the face. After the service however, I felt someone grab my arm. When I looked up to see who it was, I saw Clark and he was dragging me into the woods.

"Clark, are you insane?!" I yelled at him as we got deeper into the woods. "Well what else was I supposed to do? You won't talk to me or even look at me since that day!" he yelled at me when he let me go. "And what, listen to you tell me how much you wish that it was me that died in the tornado and not your dad?!" I shouted back. "Is that what you think I want?" he asked me. "If  anyone should've died in that tornado, it should've been me!" "What are you talking about Clark?" I asked him, not expecting this conversation  to go the way that it was.

"I made you a promise that you would never feel the pain you felt when you lost your mother again. And I broke that promise." he said as he got teary eyed. "Clark you didn't know that I was going to run back for our dogs," I said as Mrs. Kent's words from earlier started to play in my head. "But the one thing that I know for sure is that I never want you to wish that you were dead. I don't even want to think about what would happen if the love of my life died." I said, not realizing exactly what I was saying until I said it. "I'm the love of your life?" Clark said as he made his way closer to me. "Yes. I Know that this isn't the most ideal time to tell you, and that you probably don't feel the same about me, but I just though you had the right to know that I ---" and right at that moment, Clark shut me up in the best possible way. 

That's right, right in the middle of the woods, after our feelings of guilt and self hatred, Clark kissed me

That's right, right in the middle of the woods, after our feelings of guilt and self hatred, Clark kissed me. It was everything I could imagine and more. His lips against mine felt like this great cosmic energy was about to explode between us, and I never wanted it to end. "I love you too." he said, "I was actually planning to tell you that day. But that the tornado came." I put my head down, still feeling guilty. "No Hope, you need to hear this." Clark said as he lifted my head up to look at him. 

"I saw you go into the storm and over to the car. I was about to run after you until Dad told me to stay with Mom, and then he ran after you. I just stood there praying that you would both make it alive, but then the storm started to get worse and then Dad pushed you over to me. You were limp in my arms I thought you were dead. Bu then when I got ready to put you in Mom's arms and get Dad he put his hand out and stopped me from going after him. And then the tornado took him away. I just stood there thinking that the two most important people in my life were gone, and I did nothing to stop that from happening." I couldn't believe it, this whole time I was blaming myself for what happened, Clark was doing the exact same thing.

"Clark I don't blame you for what happened, and I know that your father wouldn't blame you either." I told him as I garbed hold of him. "He and I both made our choices, and neither one of us would want you to blame yourself for our decisions." He nodded, understanding what I was saying.

We didn't really say anything afterwards, just stood there holding each other in our arms. Wondering what the next steps you;d be for us.

(Hey guys. So here's Chapter 9. It's been  long time in the making, but it's finally here. so I've made the decision to make Clark's age during the rest of the events in the movie be 25 instead of 33. It's mainly because in a lot of the comic books, tv show, etc. he's 25 years old when he first becomes Superman, so I wanted to keep that consistent with this story. I see all nest chapter. TTFN, ta-ta for now!)