Final Chapter

"What've you got there?"

Harry's attention snapped from Louis' letter towards the doorway where his mother stood. She was elegantly dressed in a lavender silken gown. The shimmering material clung to her frame, only fanning out into a train at the center of her calf. Her hair was craftily pinned by town's finest hairdresser and looked as if she was attending her own rehearsal dinner. Harry figured that it was more so Anne's event than his own.

Ironically, it was everybody's event except for Harry's.

"S' nothing," Harry mumbled, shakily folding the piece of paper. He carefully slid it into his breast-pocket, alongside Louis' first two letters, and cleared his throat, "Are we leavin'?"

Anne looked from where the letter was tucked away and snapped herself out of a daze. "Five minutes," A wistful smile pinched her cheeks as she nodded. She stepped further into the bedroom, "Oh, you look so handsome, Harry."

For the nuptial weekend, Mrs. Mason and his mother had irately fussed about dressing him in the finest clothing that money could afford. A seamstress flew from Long Island to create a custom design for both the rehearsal dinner suit and the ceremonial tuxedo. That evening would be the first impression to not only the wedding party, but the press as well.

Harry stepped in front of a floor-length vanity and straightened his spine, his shoulders pulling back. The exquisite peony pink suit was uniformly traced by pettily woven ivory pinstripes. The pastel material lined every dip of his body to perfection. Harry straightened the candy-striped Persian blue suspenders that were fastened to the waist of his trousers. Lightly tracing his fingertips over the pearly buttons of a white dress shirt, Harry fastened the corresponding vest to cover his suspenders.

Anne strolled over and tightened the thickly striped pink and burgundy tie that was knotted along the base of his throat. Harry deftly buttoned the jacket of the suit over the vest. He gently tugged the hem of the jacket before dropping his hands to his side. His mother adjusted the silken burgundy pocket square and stepped back.

"Perfect," She dreamily exhaled under her breath.

Harry nodded and slipped a gold ring over his index finger, the family crest brilliantly gleaming underneath the light.

Anne contently grinned and started towards the door, "I need to grab my purse and then we can get goin' to the restaurant."

"Mama," Harry called after her, waiting for her to turn around. When she hummed, he carried on, "Can I drive the truck and meet you two there?"

She frowned, "Why would you do that?"

"There's somethin' I wanted to pick up for Faye," Harry easily lied, having gotten good at it after five months. He forced a bashful laugh, "Something personal."

Anne's expression brightened just as Harry expected. She quickly nodded, "Of course! Go head on out and we'll meet at Delmonico's."

"Thank you," Harry grimaced and quickly left in case she changed her mind.

It wasn't a question of where he needed to be as he climbed into the truck and swiftly pulled from the drive. Harry flicked on the headlights and reached into his pocket, pulling out a golden band. His truck jerked underneath him as he sharply turned off the main road, the ring familiarly slipped over his right middle finger. Since January, the wedding band he bought Louis had become a talisman of sorts whenever he was alone. The letter Louis sent him heavily weighed against his heart and just has his hands started to shake, Harry made it to the clearing.

Once the engine was cut, it was eerily silent along the brush of the willow trees. Harry lolled his head back against the headrest and closed his eyes. He dipped his fingers into the lining of the breast pocket and tugged out the three letters. Cradling them to his chest, he deeply inhaled through his nose and unevenly exhaled from his mouth. His eyes rolled to the back of his skull before he gradually opened them. Harry looked down, lowering the folded pieces of paper.