Chapter 6

“Say it again.”

“I said,” Louis slowly drawled out as a grin arched the edges of his mouth, “I like you, too.”

Harry huffed out a small laugh and hooked their ankles together. He squeezed Louis’ fingertips in attempts to ground himself. The doubts that maliciously crept inside of his veins were eliminated by Louis’ words. Self-hatred was extinguished from the mere press of Louis’ lips against his skin. One by one, Harry felt as if the chains that constricted him were being cut loose.

“So…What do we do now?” Harry quietly asked.

Louis’ nose wrinkled, “What’d ya mean?”

“What do – Y’know, two guys who are, um,” Harry dabbed his bottom lip with his tongue and coughed, “In like with each other, do?”

“Are you askin’ me what do two guys do in a relationship?”

Harry flushed, “Maybe.” His eyes widened, “Not that we are.” Harry’s eyebrows pinched together, “Cos, we’re like before, uh, that step.” The corners of his lips turned down in concentration, “Also, who asks who to go steady if we’re both guys?”

Louis’ eyes were wide and his jaw had slackened half-way through Harry’s slew of disjointed words. Harry’s neck bloomed crimson as a glimmer of mischief flitted over Louis’ expression. He looked down at their joined hands and fought off his traces of embarrassment.

“Okay, I’m gonna tell you a secret about datin’ a guy,” Louis conspired, his voice hushed. When Harry looked back up at his face, Louis lifted an eyebrow, “Make sure you pay attention to what I’m ‘bout to say.”

Harry’s breath was lodged inside his throat and he leaned an inch closer, ears bleeding with anticipation.

“Are you listenin’?” Louis seriously asked.

Harry quickly nodded, “Yeah.”

Louis pushed himself upwards and rested his weight on his forearm. He slowly leaned over until his mouth hovered over Harry’s ear, his breath faintly tickling Harry’s skin. Harry’s pulse rabbited along his neck in expectation, his eyelids lulling shut so he wasn’t focusing on jut of Louis’ shoulder.

“We go get food.”

“Wait, what?”

Harry indignantly snapped his head back as Louis busted into laughter. He glared at Louis while the other man rolled onto his back and let Harry’s hand slip from his own.

“M’ starvin’” Louis groaned and jutted his thumb towards the door, “And I bet they’re dyin’ to go out.”

“You’re an asshole,” Harry narrowed his eyes. He slid his legs from Louis’ and sat upwards, “I was bein’ serious.”

“So am I,” Louis snorted, pushing himself to an upright position. “We don’t do anythin’ differently than any other couple would do.” He shrugged, “Sorry if that’s a disappointment to ya.”

Harry’s bottom lip jutted out and admittedly, he was slightly put out at the idea of things being the same as the other dates he had been on.

Louis pressed his thumb against the plush of Harry’s lip, “What’s with the pout?”

“I don’t want it to be like normal datin’,” Harry looked up at him, wrinkles forming along his forehead. He shook his head, “I’ve tried that and I don’t like it.”

A gentle smile curled Louis’ mouth, “It’s not gonna be like Faye, if that’s what you’re thinkin’.” His hand lowered and he softly grasped Harry’s shoulder, “I just meant the general mechanics.” Louis traced his finger over the junction of Harry’s neck, “We get to know each other. Spend time together. Jus’…Be together.”