Eternal Embrace

I decided to write this story while singing Katy Perry's Thinking of you in the shower :P I really hope you enjoy it and are inspired  by the true meaning. Please comment and leave honest feedback!                                                                                              

September 1, 1945

Kate never found coping hard. She accepted the outcome a long time ago and was finally ready to face her consequences. She walked down the street carrying two big grocery bags filled with food for an amazing dinner. She bought new pots and pans and silverware and knives. She bought napkins and a tablecloth. This was what she lived for. For the last two years she dreamed of this day, the day Jack would be coming back from the war. He left to go fight in world war two in 1940 and now five years later he was making his big return. She hadn't heard from him in two but he previously sent her a letter saying he may not be able to write. They haven't had contact in awhile and she was nervous about what has changed and how things would turn out. She didn't know how to tell him her secret. He was going to be crushed. Kate contemplated not telling him for awhile, maybe a few weeks but that would be too late. He'd know whats going on by then.

She strolled up to her house and pushed the key in the lock of the old oak door. Their house, a timely old sophisticated bungalow, she would definitely miss it when everything changed. What she'd miss the most though is being able to look at her old albums. Now a woman of 35 she wished she had children, but she never once made regrets. Whats done is done. She put the food on the table and began chopping the vegetables. He should be home in about an hour, she thought. She reminisced back to the day he left.

The wind blew through the cold autumn evening, making the wind chill seem near unbearable. She took a deep breath, and exhaled. This was it. This was the last time she would see him for god knows how long. He opened the door to their house and joined her on the front porch. He looked fantastic in his uniform, she couldn't help but notice. He looked at her with a wishful glare. "You know Ill be back soon," He said "And when I am we will be together forever. I promise you the day the war ends, we will be together for all of eternity." She hugged him deeply. He kissed her sweetly on her forehead. This couldn't be happening, not to her. She never had kids, she never got what she wanted. Hell, she didn't even get what she needed, because what she needed was him. He finally kissed her on the lips and got into the black car that had pulled up in their driveway twenty minutes ago.

And that was the last time she saw him. She didn't like thinking back on those days, although she knew it was necessary sometimes. The hard times in life is what pulls you through the good times with appreciation. Kate stopped chopping and glanced out the window. All the young girls walked by, she felt a little bit of envy that they had their whole lives ahead of them. The words of her mother echoed in her head, "A sound heart is life to the body, But envy is rottenness to the bones." (Proverb 14) She shook her head. Get a hold of yourself, you have a few more months before the cancer spreads from your lungs, now Kate. He will understand and you can make these next few months count. A tear trailed down her cheek and she walked back over and began cutting potatoes.

A few minutes later, while she was busy cutting away there was a knock on the door. Her husband wasn't supposed to be here for at least another 45 minutes. Maybe it's the milk man, coming to deliver my order... hes late. She paced over to the door, ever so graceful and swooped the potato and knife into her left hand. She twisted the knob.

 Standing before her was a young man, not even 20 years old. He was wearing the same suit Jack had wore on the day they left. This wasn't her husband. Fear washed over her and she began to panic as he explained the tragedy.

"I'm so sorry ma'am. The war was almost over, it was a couple of weeks ago but he walked into uncharted territory and they had land mines planted everywhere. He died instantly. If there's anything we can do please let us know, and if it's any consolation there are thousands of mourning today."

"No, there isn't anything you can do." Kate choked out sternly. She closed the door on the man without feeling any sympathy and slid down the wall until she was sitting on the floor. Her legs were stretched out, tears poured across her porcelain face. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen, he was supposed to help me through my last months, we were supposed to be together forever. And that's when it hit her. She remembered him saying they had to be together forever the day the war was over. Well god dammit it was September 1, 1945.

 In a desperate rush she dropped the potato and held the knife back in her right hand. She penetrated it through her stomach and lost her breath instantly. The wound started to gush. She penetrated the knife again, and again and again until the floor was covered in a slithering pool of death. She lay down in it and rolled over, facing her wall. She would see Jack again today, and they would spend the rest of eternity together.