Chapter 1

It all began in early July, 1934.

The world was becoming quiet around Harry Styles as the sun draped itself across the horizon. Humidity barely subsided as a gentle breeze pushed through the Georgia night. The only noise that surrounded the plantation came from Al Bowlly as his voice gently crooned from a radio. Although he couldn't see them, Harry knew that his father could be found sitting in the study behind an oak desk and his mother would be getting ready in the master bedroom.

Anne and Robin met when they were nineteen. Up north in 1894, their fathers opened a tobacco firm together called, Styles & Williams. It was the same firm that Robin had inherited and operated out of Dahlonega, Georgia. Of course, it wasn't a surprise to anybody when the fathers had set their children up together. After all, successful partnerships led to successful marriages. Or at least, that's what Anne and Robin had impressed upon Harry and his older sister, Gemma.

"Hon, come on in and get settled. They'll be here soon."

Harry stood from the porch stoop, the joints of his knees cracking from being stretched out for the first time in an hour or so. Anne was standing in the wide doorway, her almond shaped eyes taking in Harry's appearance as she fastened a heavy set of pearls around her neck. Her brown hair was neatly pinned back and her navy dress was recently pressed. As Harry took a few steps closer to his mother, he could smell the signature scent of rose oil that signified company was coming over.

"Harry," Anne exasperated with a run of her fingers through his unkempt hair. "Do you even care that you're representin' your father tonight? Go get dressed in somethin' nice and fix your hair."

"Course I care," Harry swatted her hand away. He scratched the back of his neck and diverted his gaze, "I just don't see why tonight's a big deal."

Harry's comment was a white lie and both of them knew it.

George Mason and the rest of his family were due to come over for dinner that evening. The tree trunk of a man was Robin's newly promoted partner at the firm. With unsubtle hints from his parents, Harry understood that George had an eighteen year old daughter and that was the real reason for the whole ordeal.

"You know exactly why tonight is important," His mother emphasized with a calculatedly raised eyebrow. She pointed towards the doorway, "Now get goin' or you won't be ready in time."

Harry begrudgingly sighed, but nodded nevertheless, "Yes, ma'am."

Tinny music reverberated throughout the main floor and Harry began his trek towards the second story. As far as he was concerned, the plantation was an oversized estate that had too many rooms and too many paintings. It felt big to Harry when he chased Gemma through the halls as a child and then it felt massive when she left to New York with her husband Jimmy Finn. Polished furniture was placed on polished floors by hired workers when the Styles' decided to move down south.

Harry trudged up the grand staircase, his fingers mindlessly tracing along the ornately carved maple railing. His bedroom was on the second floor, three doors down to the right. Similar to the rest of the plantation, his bedroom was lavishly decorated. The walls were painted emerald with white and gold detailing along the trim. Along the far wall, two windows were framed by lush curtains that costed his father a pretty penny. The view from the windows overlooked a floral garden. Much to his parent's chagrin, the blooming garden was the only part of the estate that Harry truly admired.

Crossing over the freshly waxed floors, Harry stopped in front of a mahogany wardrobe. He wrapped his fingers around two brass knobs and hauled the doors open. With a hand rested on the dip of his waist, he looked over the different sets of suits his mother had recently gotten pressed. Different fabrics were orderly hung by color and if someone had asked Harry for an opinion, he would have said it was all a bit much.