Chapter THIRTY NINE

Start from the beginning

You like his thinking.. Its kind of like meditation.. Surprisingly philosophical for a mobster.. "Thiz iz torture zurvival 101.."

Untill he says that.. Its all about context.. This is that darkness you have come to recognise as preservation..

"Sheeesh.. Thats dark, man.." You chuckle..

He shrugs a shoulder, but smiles, just a little.. "Yez, but iz true.."

Without warning, you feel a strange wetness between to puddle between your legs.. Kind of like you had just peed..

But you didnt..

Did you?..

"Oh.." You dip a hand down to your lap, your heart feezing in your chest when you draw it back out... Covered in a thick, viscous scarlet.. "Oh my god.."

Blood.. There is so much blood!..

"Holy fuck!" The Russian is stunned..

The sharpest stabbing pain suddenly takes hold of your lower abdomen.. Pinching your nerves so tight it knocks the wind from your lungs.. You double over, groaning and gritting your teeth.. "Arrggghhhhh... Fuckkkkk... Owwwwwh.."

Konstantin sounds worried, but his demeanour remains steady and calm..

"We go to hozpital, now.."

You reach over, accidently smearing blood on his sleeve.. "No, no.. Take me to.. SPC Medical Centre.. Uptown.."

He frowns.. "That iz too far.."

You squeeze his wrist pleadingly.. "Please.. It has to be there.."

He nods.. "Alright, Little Shark, I take you.."

You squim in the seat and pant.. Another shooting pain, this one spiked and spiraling up your stiff spine... "Arrhhhhowww.. . Konstantin, who has pulled out his phone and been frantically dialing, growls frustratedly.." Axe iz not anzwering.."

You pull your phone from your pocket and thrust is out to him.. "Call Lacey Paxton.."

He finds her number in the contacts and dials her.. "Hello, Lazey? Kriby iz having troublez with baby.. Ah, yez.. Yez, there iz much blood.. Yez... Zhe iz in pain.. Okay.. We are fifteen minutez from EZ-PC.." He hangs up.. "Zhe iz doctor?"

You huff, supressing a nauseous gag reflex brought on by the blinding pain.. "She will be.. What did she say?.." You brace your palms on the dash, rocking back and forth seeking reprieve from the torture..

"Zhe zayz to ztay calm.. And that you are pazt zeven monthz, zo the outlook iz pozitive.. I do not know what thiz meanz.."He might not understand, but Lacey's words, parroted back to you in his thick Russian accent offer just as much comfort as if they had come from the angelic pixi herself..

"Okay.. Thats.. Good.... GODDDD IT HURTTTS.." You wail, clutching your belly..

Konstantin dials Hunter again and again, only to get his voicemail over and over.. "We are nearly there.. Juz breathe KC.."

You do.. In through your nose and out through your mouth, the way Lacey had shown you.. Another sharp jolt, this one so powerful it seizes and cramps your muscles.. "Owwwwwh... Call.. Patrick.. O'connor.."

He nods, pulling into the SPC car park.. He hands you the phone - still dialing out - as he leaps from the car, racing around to lift you out of the seat, carrying you towards the medical centre doors, completely disregarding the crimson blood that soaks his shirt..

With a shaking, blood soaked fingers you hold the receiver to your ear.. Patrick's voice comes through, strained and out of breath.. "Kirby?.. We-- y-- snt-- oo-- ti--.."
The static buzz of a faulty connection muffles his voice..

"Patrick? Where are you?.. Something is wrong.. Ahhhgg.. The baby.. " Panic takes your breath hostage in your chest..

There is a cuss and you realise he can't hear you.. "Fuck.."

Followed by a shout and several loud thunderous pops..

"HEY! GET DOWN!"

BANG - BANG - BANG

What the hell was that?!..

The line goes dead, and your arm goes limp.. Your small black cell clatters to the floor..

"Help! Pregnant lady! Zhe iz badly bleeding.." Konstantine shouts abd everything begins to swirl and spin as your vision swims and the blinding fluorescent lighting of the medical centre greet you, along with several fast talking nurses..

You haze in and out unable to do anything other than fixate on the agony tearing its way from your insides..

And the fear shrieking at deafening volumes in your hazy thoughts of all you are about to lose..