Spaces

They had been fighting for weeks. Louis thought they had gotten past this, that they were better than this but apparently not. They still got jealous and insecure whenever Modest went on a stunt spree. Harry had been on five dates with four different women in the last two weeks. Beautiful, model-looking women. Louis hated it as much as Harry hated every time he went somewhere with Eleanor and there had been some intensive public interactions.

They were exhausted and on edge and they fought about the stupidest things, acting like two grumpy children. It made him frustrated and sad and he tried to handle his emotions by writing. Harry was doing the same thing.

They might have a pause from touring but that didn't mean that they had free time. They had to spend their days in the studio writing and recording songs. Louis asked Liam to help him out with his latest one. He wrote the lyrics himself and Liam helped with the structure and melody.

They sat down in a ring and Louis sang the new song for them, accompanied by a piano. He tried to make eye contact with Harry before he started to sing but he refused to look up.

Who's gonna be the first one to start the fight?
Who's gonna be the first one to fall asleep at night?
Who's gonna be the last one to drive away?
Who's gonna be the last one to forget this place?

We keep taking turns
Will we ever learn?

That got Harry's attention. He stared directly at Louis and his eyes never left his. Louis sang the chorus.

Oh spaces between us
Keep getting deeper
It's harder to reach you
Even though I try
Spaces between us
Hold all our secrets
Leaving us speechless
And I don't know why

That made Harry tear up and his lower lip started to tremble. Louis got emotional as well watching the love of his life getting sad. He just tried to get through the song without breaking down. He hated their fights. They were stupid and unnecessary. The pressure they were under brought out the worst in them. He continued the song.

Who's gonna be the first to say goodbye?

Who's gonna be the first one to compromise?
Who's gonna be the first one to set it all on fire?
Who's gonna be the last one to drive away?
Forgetting every single promise we ever made?

Oh spaces between us
Keep getting deeper
It's harder to reach you
Even though I try
Spaces between us
Hold all our secrets
Leaving us speechless
And I don't know why

Tears started to roll down Harry's cheeks which made Louis break down as well, knowing he was the reason that Harry was sad.

Who's gonna be the first to say goodbye?

We keep taking turns
Will we ever learn?
When will we learn?

Oh spaces between us
Keep getting deeper
It's harder to reach you
Even though I try
Spaces between us
Hold all our secrets
Leaving us speechless
And I don't know why

Who's gonna be the first to say goodbye?
Spaces between us
Spaces between us
The spaces between us

As soon as the song was done Harry got up from his chair and threw himself at Louis.
"I'm so sorry Lou. I hate it when we fight. It's stupid. I love you so much." He sobbed.

"I'm sorry too. I know I can be a jealous ass. I love you, baby. I don't want to fight." Louis answered, tears spilling over.

They hugged each other and cried. When they finally calmed down Harry turned around in Louis' lap and they were met by three pairs of worried eyes.
"You've been fighting?" Niall asked, looking utterly heartbroken.

"Yeah, we let Modest stupid stunts get to us." Louis sighed.

"I'm sorry they're giving you such a hard time. I can't believe they never get tired of pretending you're straight." Zayn said.

Louis snorted and wrapped his arms around Harry and kissed the back of his neck.

"You two love each other so much. Don't fight about things that don't matter. You know that it's you two. Fuck Modest!" Liam said.

"Yeah! Fuck them!" Harry smiled before he turned his head to look at Louis. "The song is beautiful by the way."

Later that night when they were laying in bed and were trying to catch their breath after some awesome make-up sex Louis took Harry's hand and entwined their fingers.
"Promise me that we won't let them break us apart."

"I promise. We're married now Boo. You don't have to be jealous when I'm out on a stunt date Boobear. I think about you the whole time and I'm counting the minutes until I can go home to you again. I love you so much that it's unhealthy. You're the only one on my mind. You have me spellbound. My body is permanently marked with tattoos dedicated to you. I'm devoted to you and you only." Harry said, pouring his heart out.

"Oh darling, I feel the same way about you. I hope you know that? We need to work on our communication. Maybe we won't fight about stupid stuff that's out of our control if we learn how to talk about it instead. I love you, Harry." Louis answered and looked deeply into his husband's eyes.

"You're right. I'm gonna try to express my thoughts and address my insecurities instead of acting out. I just can't believe that you're mine sometimes. You're amazing. How did I get so lucky?" Harry smiled.

Louis stared at him in surprise.
"That's what I'm asking myself about you all the time!"

"I'm yours and if you knew how whipped I am when it comes to you, you would probably run away. I actually wrote a song about it while we were fighting." Harry chuckled.

"What's it called?" Louis asked fondly.

"Stockholm Syndrome." Harry grinned and Louis started to giggle. 

"That's awesome. Very clever. When can I hear it?"

"Tomorrow." Harry promised before he gave him a good night kiss and turned around so Louis could spoon him.