7

Lyndon

Her parents glared at him as if it were all his fault

Her parents glared at him as if it were all his fault. As if his mere presence was the reason their daughter was dying. Don understood that way of thinking, something his teachings about humans had emphasised. They were quick to find blame in others than be objective.

He returned their accusing glares with calm acceptance, something that seemed to further infuriate them. "What did you do to her?" Her father demanded.

"He didn't do anything, Dad." Olivia tried to soothe, her voice frail.

"Amanda says you got sick once you saw them," the man indicated to both him and Will. "And now because of them being here, you're telling me you shifted and are now dying?"

"I..." she looked lost as she shifted her pleading eyes to him.

Don didn't know what to say. These Humans were so fragile both physically and emotionally. Were parents would've been asking for clarification and then would try for solutions instead of assigning blame. He knew if he reacted as a Were would his mate would die before they'd even hear of a solution. Still, his wolf took exception.

A growl, low and menacing, vibrated in the room. He saw his mate's eyes widen her fear as she realised the manacing sound was coming from him. Which she shouldn't have been. As a Were herself she should've been aware of their nature, even if her own wolf had been dormant.

"Wait." The man whose daughter had called them said from the doorway. The man was Elven but Don was sure even his daughter was unaware of the fact. Which he found puzzling but then Elves were strange beings and their reasoning dubious. "We need to concentrate on getting Liv better." He stated.

Don met his eyes and nodded his agreement, though he couldn't help but wonder what was in it for the Elf. He had the tawny red skin tone of the mountain Elves. His cheekbones were high and sharp enough to cut glass. A long bridged and slightly wide nose gave him a regal bent which was supported by his high-chinned posture.

He stood straight but without the puffed-up stance that would've aggravated his wolf. His height was an inch or two shy of Don's six feet five and his dark brown gaze was clear and decisive. He reminded Don of his own mother's people which, he realised, made him want to trust the Elf.

"Can you help stabilize her?" The Elf asked.

Don could feel his jaw clenching. He hated that even as her mate he wasn't the ideal person to help her. Though he could help her, it'd be dangerous to her in her weakened state.

"As a last resort," Don stated.

"Why not?" Her mother demanded, her blue eyes taking on the calm of a professional interrogator.

"She's never experienced the magic-rich environment we live in. Which means she only has residual magic from her birth and before she came to the human world. If I were to hijack the alpha bond, she will likely die with how fragile she is."