It's Not Tuesday

The pipérade was still delish even cold, and Tina enjoyed two servings, an additional mug of coffee, with some biscuits from her tin. She considered offering Holyoake some - he was feeding her after all, and might actually be a sweet-tooth - but he was back on the sofa, headphones in his ears, his eyes glued to the screen. Tina shrugged and took her treats to her study.

Today, writing went significantly better. She killed off a couple of likeable characters and successfully hid the evidence from her hard-boiled DI, making his job twice as hard. Pleased with herself, she decided another skating session was in order - and a nice long bath afterwards.

She had to admit, while making loops and jumps, she kept throwing looks at the side of the rink - but there was no one there, obviously. She cut her work-out short - keep lying to yourself you're just tired, Tina - and plodded back to the cottage.

As soon as she opened the back door she knew what they were having for lunch. Tacos! Salmon tacos! Tina sped up upstairs. Who needs a long dull bath? A quick shower would do. While she was running by the kitchen door, something came over her, and she hollered, "Don't eat without me!"

We all know what came over you, Tina! Every time he leaves a plate for you, you feel guilty. Guilty that he cooks for you, that he has to sleep on a tiny sofa, that you crawled in with him at night... Not now, Tina's libido! No one needs the memories of his body wrapped around yours. But most of all, you feel guilty that you're lying to him, although what it is that you do in life is none of his bloody business!

"Pardon?" His voice was annoyed.

Whatever! Still better than eating alone. She'd rather see his hoity-toity face in front of her than imaging his hoity-toity thoughts. Her therapist always told her that she imagined the judgement on her in people's minds to be much harsher than it really was. Maybe he didn't actually think she was a complete cock-up. On the other hand, remember what Miller said, "You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do." Holyoake did strike her as a man who'd simply forget she existed when she wasn't in the room.

"I'll just have a quick shower, and we can eat together," she shouted and stuck her head in the kitchen.

Holyoake stood by the counter, a plate in one hand and a taco in the other, between his long middle finger and his thumb, lifted to his lips, his head cocked on one side, because she'd just caught him before he took the first bite.

Seriously, why is this sexy?!

He put the taco back on the plate.

"Please?" she said meekly. Too late to back out of it and have cereal for lunch, innit, Tina? All your fault. As usual.

He nodded, his attentive gaze on her, and Tina dashed out of the kitchen and upstairs.

***

They ate in silence. Firstly, she was still embarrassed about her previous behaviour. Secondly, the flavourful fish, the cabbage salad, with just the perfect amount of vinegar and fresh coriander, with chipotle lime yogurt and avocado salsa on the side required Tina's full attention.

Tina kept her eyes down to her plate, by the way. Because she'd just discovered she had a taco kink. Well, a 'Holyoake plus taco' kink. So far she'd only seen him eating with a fork and a knife in the most civilised manner. Him using his fingers, biting generous bites, and chewing with gusto might have been a bit too much!

Oh bugger, why did you peek, you daft cow?! She'd just lifted her eyes for a second and saw him wipe the yogurt off his bottom lip with his thumb. Oh Lord. Her sinopses might be overheating. Abort, abort!