Chapter Fifteen: Bonding with Britain

Start from the beginning

"Why not take that spot, I'll even go stand in it so it doesn't get taken," Arthur suggested. The lady looked and grumbled, nodding and crossing her arms, "jolly good, then," Arthur got out and stood in the spot. The elderly man parked his truck in the spot and Arthur went back to the car, rolling up his window and helping Alfred into the wheelchair. The older man made eye contact with Alfred, looking at his daughter.

"Jean, did you try to steal that spot from a pregnant woman?" the woman looked over and her draw nearly dropped.

"I didn't realize she was that pregnant," she defended as she walked away, clearly feeling like shit. The elder man walked beside them with his cane, smiling.

"How far along are you?"

"I was actually due yesterday, we're hoping a little air will prompt the babies to leave," Alfred smiled sweetly.

"Babies, how many you got?"

"Twins,"

"Well, my congratulations," he tipped his hat as he finally met up with his daughter on the sidewalk. Arthur smiled down and gently pet Alfred's head.

"Your people are always so friendly, it's so strange," Arthur teased as he rolled Alfred into the mall. The two spent a good hour shopping, looking for last minutes gifts for the babies. They even went into a baby boutique and were swarmed by many people about how big he was. It made Alfred happy, despite his shy self not initially liking the attention.

Arthur took Alfred anywhere he wanted to go, starting at Build-A-Bear. It was a 'Buy 2 get 1 50% off' sale and Alfred wanted to get his new twins each a teddy. The spare one could be for him to cuddle with, a bonus. So, he made two brown bears and one polar bear. He made one of the brown bears a girl, that would be his. After making the bears, they went to the garden. Alfred sniffed the flowers and played with the butterflies. Three even landed on his stomach, which made him laugh since they tickled.

The next stop would be a little tea place, where Arthur and Alfred decided to eat. Alfred ate a nice and warm chocolate chip muffin with some hot honey tea while Arthur ate some scones smothered in jam with chamomile tea. After a nice, relaxing rest, the two decided to go into some high-end antique store.

It would be here, that Alfred began to feel queasy.

Alfred took notice of a zhostovo tray, a traditional metal tray from Russia. It had sunflowers, roses, apples, and pears painted on it. Alfred smiled widely as he tugged Arthur's shirt.

"Iggy, Ivan would adore that tray. Can you get it down for me, please?" Arthur looked and nodded. As Arthur reached up the high shelf, the tray he was trying to get was snatched by an employee. They watched as the employee handed the tray to a well-dressed couple.

"As you can see, this tray is the real deal. Zhostovo trays are native to Ukraine and often depict bountiful harvests," Alfred wheeled himself over.

"Uh, I don't mean to offend, but my brother was trying to get that tray," he spoke softly, "also, Zhostovo trays aren't native to Ukraine, they are native to Russia. They were created in the 18th century in a small Russian village named Zhostovo, hence its name," the well-dressed couple looked at the employee, who sneered at Alfred.

"How would some fat cow know about antiques?" Arthur growled.

"I beg your pardon, but that 'fat cow' is pregnant. Also, this little angel is married to a Russian immigrant, their home is filled with things from his homeland," Alfred took notice of the young couples basket, which seemed to have a Soviet theme going on. Alfred gently picked up one of the medals the couple had, examining it.

"Also, this medal isn't authentic. It's the Order of Victory, and it's one of the rarest medals in the world. The only reason my husband had one is because his grandfather served in the Red Army and was a hero at Stalingrad. The normal worth is over ten million dollars and is encrusted with rubies and diamonds," Alfred smiled at the couple.

The couple looked to the employee with an unimpressed look, which made the man upset.

"Are you choosing to believe this street urchin over a certified businessman?"

"Surely, if these are truly authentic, then you have the certificates," Alfred spoke coldly. The couple handed Alfred the tray with a smile, as Alfred looked it over, "this is authentic, so this is probably a good thing to buy," Alfred went to hand back the tray.

"Keep it, your husband will adore it more. Thank you for saving us from this conman," the man smiled and put down his basket.

The employee was seething in rage, but Alfred's smile seemed to cool him down. It was magical how Alfred's innocence was so contagious. Alfred went to the register and got out his wallet. After paying for it, he gave the man a card.

"In case you ever want to get real memorabilia, contact him," Alfred and Arthur left the store with smiles on their faces.

On the drive home, Alfred couldn't help but wonder when the babies would come. He rubbed his belly, taking a deep breath.

"You're worried," Arthur voiced, making Alfred sort of jump. He nodded, confirming what Arthur had said, "well, now you have all of us here. We won't ever let you fall again, I promise," Arthur kissed Alfred's hand as they got home. Germany and Sweden once again helped with all the bags as Alfred was set up on the couch.

"How was the trip, sunflower?" Ivan asked as he gently sat beside him. Alfred chuckled and pulled out the tray, smiling brightly.

"Successful!" Ivan's eyes glittered as he admired the present, "you've been such a good hubby that I decided to reward you," Ivan chuckled and kissed Alfred's lips.

"You are the best partner anybody could ever ask for,"

The group of nations was all toasty, relaxed by the fireplace.

There was peace for only a few minutes before Alfred's water broke.