"Oh thank God." Her mother praised as Liv scented her tears.

Her father brushed a hand through her hair. "Is she going to be fine now?" He asked.

"It's only temporary until the alpha gets here." Don answered in his measured tone.

Her mother let go and shifted Liv until she held her to her side. Liv was now taller than her, even her father but she settled her head on her mother's shoulder for a moment. A part of her trying to recapture the days when she could easily do that.

Now she knew things would never be the same. She was a werewolf, a mythical being and she had already been kicked out of the only life she knew. Had Don come here because homeland security had called him? It was too much of a stretch that he could just be there just after homeland became interested in them.

"And then what?" Her mother asked her tone even despite the tension that strummed her body. "Are you going to take my daughter away? Is that why you're here?"

"We're here because the moon goddess brought us. I guess one of the reasons she chose this place is because Liv was here." Don replied.

"Really?" Her mother derided. "You expect us to believe that some mythical pagan goddess brought you here? Is that what you're going to teach my daughter?"

Her friend Mandy's father held out his hand to stop her mother or anyone who might say something. Liv saw her mother frown before exchanging a puzzled look with her father. Mandy's dad had never acted like that before.

"Your goddess brought you here?" He asked Don.

"Yes." He agreed.

"Interesting," Mandy's dad mused. "This building has only the elven living in it, aside from the humans of course. I wondered how you were even given the chance to purchase your suite. If your goddess did it, then it makes sense."

"Matías, you can't tell me you believe this nonsense?" Her father questioned.

Mandy's father turned to face her dad. "I'm sure Liv can now tell I'm not human."

That seemed to blow over in the room. "Daddy?" Mandy questioned.

"Elven females are scarce carina, we brought you here so you would have  a more normal life."

"B...b...but you're the mayor!" She declared.

"Yes," Mandy's dad agreed. "And the mayors of Manhattan have always been mythkind form the time when the city was built. This city was built to house the mythkind, to be a resting post while we went about our bussiness. The humans came after, but since we built this city our kind are always in charge, the elected members."

Liv looked at the man she'd grown up around like he'd grown another head. As she studied him, it was like her sight had gained a depth she hadn't even known was possible. Though the mayor's face had a few lines like a man in his fifties should, Liv now saw a smoother youthful face beneath.

She turned to meet her friend's wide gaze and for the first time she saw something in the brown depths that was otherworldly. What the heck was going on? How had her life turned into such a train wreck? Could she trust the people she'd known her whole life?

At that point a knock sounded at the main door. Since her mother had dismissed the staff when they came back from homeland, Liv got up to open it. "Liv, maybe you should rest." Her mother stated with worry.

"It's...uh." she frowned trying to figure out what she was feeling.

There seemed to be a pull towards the door, a need to connect with whomever was beyond it. The power inside her, her wolf she supposed, shifted her attention to the source of power coming from there. Her heart was beating in excitement and all she wanted was to open the door. Somehow she knew it was the alpha calling out to her.

"I'm fine." She finally said as she left the living room and walked to the main door.

She hadn't expected the alpha to be female. All the books Liv had ever read had had males as alphas and the females in a supporting role. The female before her could never be a subordinate. She resonated with power, an aura that seemed to demand everyone give way.

Her beautiful face was devoid of wrinkles but Liv could tell she was older than the twenty-five she looked. The alpha was regal, her brown eyes piercing as she met Liv's gaze. It took all she could not to look away from that incisive gaze, instinctively her head tilted to her right without her knowing why. "Alpha." She acknowledged.

The female before her smiled. "Child, for someone who doesn't know of our kind you have remarkable instincts."

The complement went to her head. Liv had been complimented all her life, better ones really, but she found herself overwhelmed by the alpha's. "P..please come in." She stammered.

"Thank you child." The female said as she swept into the foyer followed by her entourage.

Closing the door behind them, Liv led the way back into the sitting room. She'd never been so aware before. It was like she could sense each of their movements, aware of their power.

"Alpha." Don bowed in the same way Liv had, his voice filled with reverence.

"Beta." She acknowledged. "It'll be interested to know how that came about."

"Of course alpha."

There was a sense of age and reverence in the title, something Liv sensed in the way Don said it. She looked at her parents and saw they appeared intimidated by the forceful yet regal woman. Her very presence seemed to fill them with awe.

The alpha turned to them and gave them a dazzling smile. "Thank you so much for allowing us into your home. This must all be unsettling for you."

"Just a bit." Liv's mother agreed.

"We don't understand what's going on." Her father stated as he held her mother to his side.

"I can understand that, but first off we have to ensure your daughter's life." The alpha replied before turning back to Liv. Her heart pounded. "No need to be afraid child. All you have to do is accept me as your alpha."

"Why?" Her mother finally broke. "Why does she have to have an alpha? Can't she just continue as she was and not be taken away from us?"

The alpha turned to her mother with a sad smile. "No. Now that she marked him as her mate, partially shifting to do that, she has to embrace her wolf or die."

Her mother glared at Don at that. "Why did you have to come here?" She demanded of him.

"Would you rather have had her die young?" The alpha asked.

"What?" Both her parents demanded.

"Our youth find their mates within their twenties, even domant, her wolf would never have accepted any male in her life except her mate. Her wolf would've come to a point where she'd give up the hope of finding her soulmate and given up on life. Since she's away from our lands and the magic that sustains our kind it's unlikely your daughter would've reached the age of twenty-five.

That is provided she didn't come across another race that recognized her and killed her for being a werewolf. There're more than one race that'd use the blood of even one like her for blood rites."

Her mother's legs gave way and her dad held her up and helped her to a chair. Liv rushed to her side, taking her hand in hers. "I'm sorry mum." She apologized.

"It's okay love." Her mum tried to comfort her and Liv felt terrible. She should be comforting her mother. This was all her fault.

Would she really have to leave her life now? All because she had some messed up DNA. If werewolves being away from their little camp caused them to die young why was she left here?

Liv had never wondered about her birth family, not even to call them that, now she wanted to know why they'd abandoned her. Had they wanted to get rid of her, hoped she'd die? Only she'd been found and taken to an orphanage and been adopted.

She looked up and met Don's gaze. His eyes were calm and for some reason that calm seemed to pass onto her and settle the turmoil that was boiling inside her. She took a deep breath and turned back to the alpha.

"I just have to accept you?" She questioned.

"Yes." The alpha replied.

"Okay," Liv squeezed her mother's hand before letting go. "I'm ready."