I'll Protect You from the Storm

Start from the beginning

Kara began shaking her head a little, "I don't, I know you know I'm there every time I come, but that's not what concerns me. What concerns me is that your brother and your mother are both still out there and they have both attempted to kill you multiple times before. They may have been silent since the last fight when I dropped Lex and almost killed him, but they could strike at any moment, and something tells me that we're the two people they'd go for first."

Lena just nodded, she wasn't really sure what to say. It made her feel happy inside when Kara talked about her need to protect her and her worry for her life, but it was still hard. No matter how much the Luthor missed the cheery reporter, or wanted things to go back to the way they used to be (maybe even become something more) there was this feeling of betrayal and mistrust that refused to go away.

It was always there lingering in the back of her mind, and it would push its way to the front anytime Lena's thoughts drifted to the Girl Of Steel for even a split second. Lena sighed, a little more audibly than she intended, before turning and making her way back towards the inside of her penthouse. "Lena." Said Kara, stopping the ravenette in her tracks before she could get too far.

Lena turned around slowly and looked back at the Heroin, "What Kara? What do you want me to say? 'Thanks for caring if I die, come on in and we can get takeout like old times.'" The blonde winced at Lena's tone, the familiar guilt she got every time she came here settling in. "What are you doing here? It's been three weeks, and for a minute I thought you'd finally given up."

"I just-" Kara hesitated "I thought If I gave you some space I could-" "What? Come back and feed me a different version of the same apology for the hundredth time? I thought I made it clear that sorry isn't going to mend the trust that you broke. Please just go, I'm trying to get work done." Tears stung the eyes of both women as Lena turned around and Kara looked down.

The blonde superhero now realized how stupid she was to think that a few weeks of distance and essentially the same apology she'd tried to feed Lena last time would make things better.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Alex was getting some routine paperwork done on an alien who had tried to rob a bank, when agent Vasquez knocked at her office door. The older Danvers sighed as she placed her pen down on the glass desk and looked up from her paperwork before saying, "Come in." "Good afternoon Director Danvers, I wanted to inform you that a large storm has rolled in unexpectedly and we should be getting thunder any minute"

With that Alex panicked before standing up and quickly leaving the room, agent Vasquez following her closely behind. The director entered the main room and everyone immediately stood at attention as she said, "Winn, go to the back and get Kara's super hearing dampeners, we're supposed to get thunder any minute now."

Winn nodded before quickly standing up and running to the back room. Alex then pressed her finger up to the commlink in her ear and said, "Supergirl? Supergirl, do you copy?" before remembering that Kara wasn't on duty as Supergirl, and she wasn't wearing her commlink today. The aburnette huffed in frustration before pulling out her phone to call Kara.

Just as Alex was about to dial her sister's number, Winn came rushing into the room with both dampeners in his right hand as he frantically said "I got them, I got the-" and Winn being the clumsy mess he is sometimes, slipped and fell face first towards the concrete floor of the DEO, putting out both of is hands to catch his fall.

The distinct crunch that sounded beneath Winn's right hand made half the people in that room visibly cringe, while director Danvers yelled, "Dammit Winnn!" as she rushed towards him to pull him out of the way and hoped to god that he hadn't made the dampeners completely unusable. When his hand was lifted from the floor, disappointment fell over Alex's face when all she saw was a multitude of wires and plastic pieces stroon about.