Chapter 28: The Bitter Winter

Start from the beginning

Since seeing Rachel and Dad, things had calmed between Jacob and I. There would never be that same bond we shared as kids, but I was willing to let him in just a little. Renesmee had a lot to do with that though. She loved me just as much as she loved Jacob. I knew I had to let go of my bitterness for her sake.

We watched the movie together, and in that time Bella came back downstairs. Renesmee looked over at her as soon as she did. "Mommy! Sit and watch with us!"

Bella smiled at Renesmee. "Not at this moment sweetie. But I did want to ask you if you want to go for a hunt after dinner?"

Renesmee reached for her mother from my lap, and Bella moved forward to let her press her hand to her cheek. Bella smiled. "Of course Hannah and Jacob can come. Hannah probably should hunt something anyway." She shot her eyes at me. "Since she ignored Carlisle this morning and slept in."

I pouted. "In my defense, it's wet outside and wet makes me sleepy."

Bella laughed. "I will catch you something while we're out. I'll carry your clothes for you. It seems you promised Renesmee a wolf-back ride?"

I shrugged and hugged Renesmee. "What can I say... my niece knows how to get her way with me."

Bella glanced at the movie smiling. "You two seem to have a lot in common." She kissed Renesmee on the cheek, and then me on the forehead.

As she headed away towards the kitchen, Jacob feigned disappointment. "Where's my kiss?"

Edward arrived downstairs and scoffed. "Trust me, Jacob. Bella has had enough of your kisses." He followed Bella into the kitchen.

Jacob shrugged. "No worries. Be too weird to make out with my future mother-in-law."

Bella snapped, "Shut it, Jacob!"

I rolled my eyes and looked back at the movie. Renesmee seemed oblivious to Jacob's comment, which I was glad. She was too young to think about marriage. If she ended up looking old enough to marry in a year, there was no way Edward and Bella would let a marriage ceremony take place for another twenty years. Staring down at Renesmee who had grown a few more inches since the day before, I frowned slightly. I hoped we had that time.

A few hours later, after I helped Esme cook and clean up the kitchen, I headed out with Bella, Renesmee, and Jacob. Just as she said, Bella carried my clothes while I let Renesmee ride on my back through the woods. Jacob ran beside me, making Renesmee giggle as he kicked water from puddles back at us. I growled in irritation. He knew I didn't like the cold and wet stuff on my face, even in wolf form.

Hey. Don't be a party pooper. Jacob said.

Watch it! Or when I phase back I'll chuck you across the meadow!

He snorted. Ooh! I'm so scared!

I growled.

When we got to the meadow, Jacob and I both phased back. Renesmee stayed with Jacob while I followed Bella towards a moose a little ways away. She took it down for me, and I quickly drained the carcass. Once I was satisfied, I let Bella run off to hunt her own as I returned back to Jacob and Renesmee. Jacob was laying in the leaves, tossing them up and letting them hit him in the face as they floated back down. Renesmee threw her own pile on his face trying to cover him. I laughed at their childlike actions.

As Renesmee and I started to make a pile of leaves, Jacob was confronted by Bella who returned from feeding. She had been trying to reason with him in the last few days. We were leaving soon to take a trip to South America to start looking into the local legends there and see if we could learn more about Renesmee. Jacob said he was coming, and Bella kept trying to dissuade him.