Chapter 13: The Rebirth

Start from the beginning

I shook my head and broke into sobs. "She's gone, Jake... Why? Why is she gone?!"

Jacob got on his knees beside me. He hugged me as I continued to cry into my skirt fabric. He started crying too. "I don't know... but it will be okay... dad will take care of us. He's sad right now like the rest of us, but he'll feel better and we will all be okay. Old Quil says she is resting with the spirits now. We have to believe she is at peace."

"I miss her... I don't want her to be dead..."

Jacob sniffled and hugged me harder. "Me neither... but I'm here sis... I'll take care of you. And so will Quil and Embry. Mom can rest well knowing we're all looking after you."

His voice faded. The image swirled. Another unfurled...

I saw I was running down the road in the dark. My breathing was heavy. The taxi came to a stop, and I kept running to approach it. Rebecca got out of the back seat and clutched the door as she looked back at me. She was about to turn nineteen. She was running away. And she wasn't coming back. She had waited for Rachel to drive off to college the day before, and now she was fleeing too.

"Rebecca! Don't go! Please! Jacob and I need you!" My fourteen year old self rushed across the asphalt.

Rebecca stepped away from the taxi and came towards me. I threw my arms around her waist in despair. "Please! Don't leave me! You promised you'd take care of us!"

My sister hugged me back, stroking her hand through my hair knowing she was hurting me. "I'm sorry, Hannah... I love you so much. But I can't stay. It's just too suffocating here. I need a fresh start. A change of scenery. Solomon wants to give me all that." She kissed me on the forehead and cupped my cheek. "You'll be okay sis... take care of Jacob and Dad. I'll call you when my plane lands. Goodbye."

She turned and walked away. She got back in the taxi. It took off. I watched it go with agony. First Rachel... now Rebecca... my heart felt broken from the abandonment. As the taxi faded into the night, so did my memory.

A new one appeared then. This one fresher than the others...

"I can't be around you. It's for the best. You'll be better off without me."

"No," I whispered. I grabbed his arm. It was hot. He shook and went tense in my grasp. "Don't... Don't do this Quil..." My throat tightened. "You... you said you would never hurt me. You said you would stay with me... let me stay with you... I... I won't get in anyone's way. But I'll join the group if it means I don't lose you."

"You can't, Hannah... you aren't allowed. We've all agreed you can't be with us." Quil took a step back pulling from me. My hand dropped as I realized it was over. "We're doing this so we don't hurt you."

"Quil..."

He continued. "I don't have a choice. Things have changed. I understand now where I belong, and it's not with you." He shut his eyes and took a deep breath. "You'll be okay, Hannah." He turned away. "Goodbye."

Darkness fell. Then one last image shot through me...

Seth got in front of me and cupped my cheek. "Hannah... you can talk to me about anything."

I frowned. "I just don't want to ruin the night and upset you."

He urged me to say what I needed to by keeping his gaze on me.

I sighed. "It's just... Alice's vision keeps popping in my head. I know there's a chance we can stop it from happening, but if for some reason the vampire succeeds," I shivered. "If she turns me, what will happen between you and me? I'll become your enemy..."