40 A Sky Full of Stars

Začať od začiatku

"Oh, come on. Evolving one of the Eevee would give me a guaranteed Electric-type attacker."

"I said no! You know how I feel about that."

"I do, but... Here. Eevee!" Hearing her name, the smaller of his two Eevee skipped over to us. "Tell me something. Do you want to evolve into a Jolteon? It's really simple. All you need to do is touch a Thunder Stone. Like this."

He suddenly jerked me close and rifled through my bag.

"Hey! Get out of there!"

"I just need a—"

A flurry of Shadow Balls hit Paul in the face, knocking him over.

Papa Eevee, the shiny one, pulled his little girl into a hug while growling at Paul.

"See? I'm not the only one who feels that way about forcing an evolution. Plus, personally, I think Eevee could use some more training and battle experience before she evolves. What do you think?" Papa Eevee agreed with my statement.

Paul sat up. "I just would like a genuine Electric-type attacker on my team."

"Don't be so impatient, Paul. You'll just have to live with Gyarados and Kadabra until we can find some Electric-types. Maybe we'll get lucky and stumble across an abandoned power plant or something?"

"Yeah, but..." Suddenly, Nidorino dashed over and barked to interrupt Paul. He stared at his trainer with wide, purple eyes and ears held back like he was pleading. "Huh? You want to learn an Electric attack, too?"

The Poison Pin Pokémon vigorously nodded his head.

"Wow. You're sure motivated. I like that. But can Nidorino learn electric attacks?"

"I know Nidoking can. Let's see. Dex."

"All members of the Nidoran evolution line are capable of learning Thunder Bolt."

"All members?" Nidorina had just walked up beside us, and I cast her an excitable look upon hearing the information. "That means you can learn it, too. Wanna give it a try?" She blinked once, smiled, and nodded.

Nidorino suddenly sized her up, proclaiming that he would learn it faster than her.

She responded in kind, ready to give it her all.

Their competitiveness thrilled me. "Nothing like a good rivalry to get you—AH!" A gentle hand appeared out of nowhere and gripped my shoulder, causing my legs to launch me ten feet into the air.

Haunter applauded upon witnessing the reaction he'd hoped for.

"Don't... Don't do that, Haunter..."

Ignoring my shakiness, he floated closer to my face and explained how he also wanted to participate in our special training.

"Really...? You, too?"

Haunter shook his head so much it nearly fell off.

"Alright, alright. You can learn, too." I rose up and brushed the dirt off my clothes. "So, how many students do I have now?"

"Five," answered Paul. He and the five chosen ones gazed at me with watery, puppy-dog eyes. "So, please? Teach them?"

I took a deep breath. On the exhale, I let my shoulders roll forward; I knew I'd have my work cut out for me. "Fine. I'll do it."

"Yes!" Paul cheered together with the Pokémon.

"BUT! Hang on! Don't get too excited just yet. We can't start the training right now."