16 A Girl's Curse

The sun rose on another beautiful day. I got up early, racing out onto the deck with Luxio and Pikachu. We stared out past the front of the ship, and I spotted a landmark. "Hey, I can see the port!" I cheered.

"That's Maiden's Peak, the place we're docking at," Paul said, coming up beside me.

"How much longer until we get there?"

He grinned. "Might want to tone down the excitement. They said it'd be another hour until we're fully docked and able to leave the boat."

"Another hour?!" My head fell on the handrail. "That's just great. I'm tired of being out on the water."

"Well, no matter how much you complain—which is a lot—the ship can't go any faster."

I sat down right on the deck. "Thanks for cheering me up."

He grinned. "No problem, Girlie."

I tried kicking his leg, but he stepped out of the way. "Don't call me that!"

"Whatever." He set his bag down beside me. "I'm gonna get some breakfast. Any requests?"

"Lots of fruit. I want to get my pineapple fill while it's still summer."

"Got it. Be back in a bit." He walked away.

Propping myself on my arms, I sighed. "He's a handful."

Luxio and Pikachu curled up at my sides, agreeing with slow nods.

Unfortunately, Wartortle popped out of his Poké Ball. He brought an interrogation upon me, demanding to know why I haven't talked to Paul yet. "You know why. It's not a very easy discussion, you know. I mean, I'm practically asking him to be my friend."

He raised his eyebrow.

"Yes, it is difficult! I don't have the level of charisma that you do, apparently."

Wartortle asked the worst that could happen.

"Geez, I don't know. He could refuse, and insult every ounce of my being. Man, I'd settle for him just calling me pathetic. It seems to be gentler than the rest of his vocabulary." I looked at the second bag lying at my side. "I'm terrified. I've never asked anyone to be my friend, or at least, I've never done it and had it go well."

Wartortle wanted to know what I meant.

Luxio explained to him my bullying problem as a child.

Suddenly, Wartortle looked a tad guilty.

I rubbed his head. "It's alright. I know you're just trying to help. You and I both understand that Paul is a decent guy. He'd be someone very fun to have as a friend, and we all trust him enough. Plus, whether he admits it or not, he's actually pretty decent towards Pokémon.

"Look. I'm just scared because I don't want to be rejected. It's a common fear, I know, but we all get why it's so common. Rejection is scary. What if Paul can't look at me the same after I ask him? I feel like we're at a point where he's not constantly sneering in my direction, and vice versa..."

Pikachu suddenly jumped in my face, startling me.

After a long staring contest, she made an evil grin. My cheeks heated up. "No, we all know that has nothing to do with it! This is just friendship we're talking about. Nothing more!"

I sighed. "Just asking someone to be my friend is stressful enough. I can't even imagine what I'm going to be like asking another person out on a date in the future. Love is just a stupid curse that I'd rather avoid."

I looked at all three Pokémon, who returned full gazes.

"It's true! Love is a curse."

They refused to break eye contact with me, making me sweat bullets. Though my beating heart started to ache, I admitted defeat. "Fine. I'll do it when we get off the boat. No promises about the outcome, but I promise I'll try."