39 It's Training Time!

Start from the beginning

"Good, Torterra. Flying-types aren't a problem if they can't reach you." Torterra responded with a prideful roar. "Now, keep up the pressure with Energy Ball. Don't let Pidgeotto return to the air!"

"That won't stop us. Agility, let's go!" Pidgeotto took off like a missile, expertly dodging all incoming projectiles.

"You need to control your shots better! Try to predict where Pidgeotto is going, not where she is!" Once he narrowed his eyes, Torterra suddenly possessed a greater level of accuracy and precision, nearly shooting my bird out of the sky a few times.

One of the Energy Balls came alarmingly close, but Pidgeotto and I refused to be defeated.

"Flying-types don't have to be close to inflict damage. Gust!"

Instead of just a simple whirlwind, Pidgeotto released multiple light-blue energy blades from her glowing wings. One of the disc-like blades sliced through Torterra's remaining Energy Balls. This opened a path for the rest of Pidgeotto's attack to score a direct hit to the Continent Pokémon's face.

"Wow! Was that Air Slash? Great job, Pidgeotto!"

When the dust settled, we found Torterra knocked out.

"Well, that's that," sighed Paul before stepping over to his Pokémon's side to lecture him.

"Woohoo! Another win for our side! Nice battling, Pidgeotto!" She landed on the ground in front of me, unfolded her wings, and emitted a victorious cry, before beginning to glow. I gasped. "Is this what I think it is?"

Pidgeotto grew two feet taller and sprouted colorful, glossy feathers on her head. Her tail feathers increased in length and turned to a bright shade of red. When her evolution finished, she spread her wings to reveal her new-and-improved wingspan: nearly three times that of her previous form!

"Yay! You're a Pidgeot now!" While the others all stared in awe, I embraced my Pokémon. "Congrats! Proof of your hard work, and I'm proud of you!" She sunk deeper into my tight hug, her feathers tickling my face.

Fearow flew down from his roost to say congrats. Torterra also paid his respects.

"It's just an evolution. What are you two praising them for?" snapped Paul. "If you ask me, Pidgeot should've evolved a long time ago."

"Thanks for the kind words, Paul," I grumbled, and Pidgeot hissed at him. Then, I went over to give Torterra an Oran Berry and rub his head. "Nice battling, Torterra. No matter what this jerk says, just know that I was very impressed."

Torterra looked between myself and Pidgeot before speaking. Fearow chimed in.

I turned my head. "What'd they say?"

Paul gave his Pokémon a look. "Really? You think so?" Torterra and Fearow pointed at both of us with a vine and beak, respectively. Eevee jumped onto Torterra's back and agreed with the statement. "You, too?" Clearly exasperated with her Trainer, she hopped onto my shoulder and yelled at him. "Nope. I don't see it."

"See what? What are you guys talking about? Spit it out!"

"They all think you and Pidgeot look alike."

"Really?" Pidgeot and I exchanged looks. "How?"

Torterra extended its vines, reached around my back, and gently lifted my hair.

"Because of the hair?" I looked to Pidgeot again, noting the length of the feathers on her head. "Oh yeah. That makes sense." I rubbed her head. "I guess these boys prefer ladies with long hair, huh?"

She responded with a quick chirp.

While Fearow nodded, Paul's face reddened, so he quickly turned on his Pokémon. "Go back to bed already, you overgrown pigeon." Fearow shrieked, jabbed his trainer in the side, and perched up in Torterra's tree while he and Paul bickered.