Chapter 4

The smell is what registered first. Medical. It smelled like medicine, professional grade rubber gloves and bandages with that nasty looking brown ointment. After the smell, she registered the pain. Her whole body hurt. She felt like she did that time she had tripped down the basement stairs at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Charley groaned as she rolled her neck, testing it. Yep, that hurt too. Blinking open her eyes the sharp white halogen lights were the first thing to greet her. She squinted painfully, recognizing that only one of her eyes would actually open. The other was swollen shut.

“Welcome back.” Charley was startled by a gruff female voice she didn't recognize. She turned abruptly toward the source and regretted it immediately. Her head throbbed and a jolt of pain screamed down her neck and spine. The nurse came to her side quickly and glanced over her shoulder towards the door.
“Honey,” she had a southern drawl and a pack-a-day tone. “You need to be careful how you move. Your body has been through the ringer.” The most recent events flashed through Charley's mind and tears came unbidden, crashing out her eyes and down her cheeks. Her chin quivered.

“How did I get here?” She meant to ask out loud but she could not summon a voice, only a whisper. 

“Your fella brought you in last night and only just left for coffee.” The no-nonsense nurse gave her a look that read loud and clear that she meant business.
“I need you to tell me right now what he did. This story he spewed about you falling off your bike… What did you tumble it off a cliff? I have seen these injuries before, darlin’ I know what they are. But we can't protect you unless you tell me you are in danger.” Charley was staring intently at the haggard but kind-faced nurse. Scenarios played quickly through her mind. She jumped when she could hear Chris’ deep baritone from down the hallway, coming this direction. He was saying ‘good morning’ to various staff. Charley's breathing went rapid and staggered. Panic froze her expression. The nurse grabbed her hand and squeezed.
“Come on sweetheart. Tell me.” Her voice was hushed but forceful. It was now or never.

“Help me.” Charley sobbed hoarsely. That's all Nurse Lisa needed. Chris rounded into the room through the open sliding door, his smile faded quickly as he took in the scene before him. He regained control of his expression and assertively strode forward with a genuine smile of pleasure and concern danced behind his eyes. Ever the dutiful boyfriend.

“Thank God you’re awake. I was so worried.” He tried to reach her but the nurse turned and took a step towards him. Charley was trembling and silent sobs began to wrack through her whole body.

“Sir, you can't be in here.” The nurse reached the red button by Charley’s bed and pressed it multiple times.
“I need to ask you to leave.” Chris towered over the nurse by at least a foot. He kept his smile but it went from genuine and caring to sinister.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. My girlfriend wants me here, don't you, babe?” He threw a wicked eye at her. Charley couldn't move. She was paralyzed, frozen. The nurse tried again. She pressed the red button frantically.

“I am not going to tell you again, Mr. Brady. You need to leave this room immediately.” Ignoring the nurse, Chris directed his inquiry at Charley.

“What did you say to her?” he growled. “What lies did you concot this time, little bitch?”

“Did you need something, Lisa?” another nurse had entered the room and surveyed the situation skeptically.

“Yes, call security. We have a situation in room 325.” The heavy pain medication that was dripping through an IV through Charley’s veins was making it hard to focus. She was watching the scene play out through a morphine-induced haze. She watched as big overweight men in blue  security guard uniforms that fit a little too snug, escorted Chris from the room. She dreamily felt Nurse Lisa pat her hand affectionately as she spoke to the other nurse. She was fading into sleep when Lisa asked her if she had someone to contact.