38.

THIRTY EIGHT

"GET UP." ASHER SAID STERNLY, as James looked up at him in confusion. "You've been lying in bed all day, you were quiet all of breakfast, and honestly, you just seem depressed mate." Asher stated, his arms folding over his chest.

James sighed. He really didn't want to talk about this now. He hadn't been himself all day, still in dismay over the revelation he had come to last night. "Get up." Asher said again, his tone serious. "We are going to sit on Alex's bed and talk about what's messing you up so bad."

"This really isn't necessary." James grumbled, slowly throwing the covers off himself and getting off his bed.

"It is." Asher glared at him. "Let me go find Alex."

James sighed. When Asher wanted something, Asher got it. He was persistant that way, just like his sister. He winced, thoughts of Annalise plaguing his mind again. He couldn't stop thinking about her. Her and that goddamn smile. He got up and sat down on Alex's bed leaning on the headboard. Asher walked back in a minute later, Alex behind him.

"Asher said you needed therapy." Alex said, sitting down next to him on the bed. "Whatever this is, it better be important because I was doing something important."

"Messing with first years isn't important Alex." Asher rolled his eyes, joining the two of them. He directed his attention back to James. "Now hurry up and tell us what on earth is going on with you."

"I'm in love with your sister." James sighed in defeat. He looked up at his friends. Alex's face had frozen in shock, while Asher was just smiling. He winced, realizing he probably should have eased into it instead of blurting it out.

"Merlin's beard." Alex finally said, his jaw still hanging open. Asher was still grinning. Alex turned to Asher, confused at his expression. "Why the bloody hell are you not surprised?" He gaped at him.

Asher shrugged. "Have you seen the two of them? It's the most obvious thing."

"It wasn't obvious to me!" Alex exclaimed. "I thought they were pretending!"

Asher snorted. "Have you met James? He's not that good of an actor."

"Hey!" James whined. His friends stared at him as if waiting for him to explain more. "I've liked her since November." He admitted.

"That long?" Alex gaped.

"I didn't expect it at all. Like I told you guys, I was just doing her a favor, trying to do a nice thing. But the more time I spent with her, the more I liked spending time with her."

"So then why are you depressed?" Asher asked in confusion. "You love my sister. So go tell her."

"I can't." He said dismally.

"Why the fuck not?" Alex shoved him lightly.

"I heard your conversation in the train." James admitted. Asher winced. "She clearly said to you that she sees me as nothing more than a friend. Why the hell would I tell her?"