34

With a heavy sigh, I sat down next to Seth who was hiding in the courtyard with a cigarette between his lips. He glanced at me shortly but didn't say anything. Instead he removed the cigarette and exhaled the smoke into the air.

"Hi." I said, shoving him playfully with my shoulder. "Are you alright?"

He nodded but stayed silent which told me he definitely weren't okay. He was my best friend and I didn't want him to be upset with me. I didn't want him to be upset at all.

"I've got a theory." I sat and sat up straight against the wall of the castle. He looked at me, placing the cigarette back between his lips while inhaling shortly. "Seth... I need you to be honest with me, alright? Do you–"

How was I going to word it?

"Are you–"

He cocked an eyebrow at me, exhaling again.

"What?"

"Alright—" I breathed. "What I'm trying to ask is if your reaction earlier has something to do with the feelings you may or may not have for me."

A deep laugh erupted from him and honestly I did flinch a bit because I didn't expect it. He looked away, shaking his head at me as he inhaled the cigarette again and as he exhaled, he was still laughing which made him cough.

"You're seriously so—" he shook his head again, a last cough leaving him before he leaned his head back. "Of course I have fucking feelings for you. I've had since we were fourteen and we won against Gryffindor at the end of our fourth year. That's two and a half years and you never knew because you never saw me like more than a brotherly type."

He shrugged after he had spoken, then inhaled one last time before extinguished it.

"Yeah, I like you—" he continued. "In the way that I want to be the one to tar you out on dates to Hogsmeade. I want to be the one cuddling you on the sofa and not just as friends. I want to be the one that gets to kiss you goodnight. I want to be able to introduce you to my family as my girlfriend and not just my best friend and I want to be the one to show you how much I love you, how much I admire you. I— I want that and I want you but now you're back with that— that... asshat."

I couldn't help but laugh at the word and Seth joined me.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, patting my knee. "I'm being too sensitive."

"You're not being too sensitive." I rolled my eyes. "Your feelings are valid, y'know and I do love you, just not like that. You're one of the most important people in my life. I don't want you to forget that. I'm sorry that your feelings aren't repaid."

He nodded and lifted his arm to wrap around my shoulders.

"I'll get over it, don't worry." He told me, planting a kiss on top of my head. "I don't want to lose you and I don't want this to make our friendship awkward."

"It won't." I assured him, holding up my pinky. "We will still be the bestest of friends."

He laughed at my childlike voice, then wrapped his pinky around mine and we kissed our own fists to make the "wish" complete.

"Do you wanna go scare the shit out of Nick?" Seth asked and I nodded cheerfully before our palms met midair. "Great 'cause I've got an idea!"

We hurried our way back to the Hufflepuff basement where Seth went over his plan with me. He told me that Nick was currently taking a bath, using the prefect bathroom because I had given him the password so when he came back, he wouldn't expect us to jump out and scare him.

"Hide under the bed." Seth gently pushed me towards Nick's bed and I got down on my stomach before pulling myself under the bed and Seth made his way towards the closet. "You jump out first, yeah?"

"Deal!" I told him. He got in the closet and closed the door behind him.

Now we were just waiting for Nick to come back from taking his shower and it seemed like we came at the right time because only five minutes later, the door to the boys dormitory opened and the room was filled with Nick's humming. He did that when he was alone and we all loved to tease him about how adorable it was. He hated being called adorable but he is adorable. Seth's the youngest but Nick is the baby of the group.

I noticed his feet as he made his way towards his bed to drop his stuff and when he was close enough, I reached out and grabbed his ankles.

A loud and high-pitched scream erupted from his throat and he quickly stumbled backwards towards the closet where Seth then jumped out and grabbed his shoulder. Nick screamed even louder, his entire body jolting as he fell to the floor.

I got out from under the bed and Seth came fully out of the closet while we both laughed hysterically. Nick laid on the floor, realizing what just happened and in embarrassment, he covered his face with his hands, breathing heavily.

"You mate it too easy, mate!" Seth laughed while I wrapped my arms around my stomach due to the intensity from laughing. "Do you need a hand getting up?"

"No." He muttered, slowly removing his hands to look at us while he stayed on the floor. "I hate you. Both of you. So much."

Suddenly Cedric came running into the room but stopped when he saw us. "What is going on?"

"Nothing Ced." I smiled, wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes. "Did a 'lil prank on Nick is all."

He sighed, shaking his head.

"You're a head girl, Julie. You're supposed to set an example for the younger children and here you are, scaring Crane to the point where he's screaming a scream that sounds like he's being murdered. The first years got scared."

"Well—" I shrugged. "You're the head boy. Maybe you should go calm them down, tell them there's no danger instead of always being on our back about having fun."

"Fun?!" Nick asked, his voice high-pitched again as he got himself off the floor. "Nearly giving me a heart attack is fun?"

"Precisely." Seth nodded and flashed Nick a smile. "Listen, Nick. We are very sorry. What if we buy you a pizza the next time we're in London?"

Cedric rolled his eyes at the three of us before walking out of the room, leaving the door open.

"You're not supposed to even be in there, Julie!" He called which I chose to ignore.

"With pepperoni?" Nick pouted slightly, glancing between Seth and I.

"Of course." I smiled. "One Pepperoni pizza."

He nodded slowly.

"All forgiven."

-
Which of the six friends is your favorite?

Julie?
Seth?
Nick?
Callie?
Melba?
Nate?

Just in case you forgot the names.

- Julie