Twenty-Nine

Cass.

Give us Styles, and we won't kill you.

I've never moved so fast in my life to grab my keys and coat to exit my apartment. The threat seemed to be no lie which terrified me even more. As confused as I was I didn't dare question anything, but was only determined to find the boys before it was too late.

I revved the engine of my car, reaching in my pocket to find my phone and call the police but came short only to realise that it was still in my flat.

"Shit!" I slammed my palm on the wheel, shaking my head and hitting the accelerator and sped down the road. I was directed to only one location where Harry said he was, the woods. I tend to not question his lies as I assume there's some reason why he always fibs, but I can only hope that this time he was really telling the truth. Even though he may not be camping but simply strolling, as long as he is in the woods and unharmed.

When Niall had been the one to knock on my door it had surprised me. I wasn't expecting anything of the sort, but he had assured me that everything was fine and they decided to take a little break. I didn't mention my nightmares, although he did ask, but like he always did I lied. I promised him the sleeping pills that he had recommended were working. I also promised him that everything was fine, but what I had truthfully confessed was my liking towards Harry.

I sped my car to pass an oncoming red light, and since it was dark now not many cars drove at this part of the night.

Niall had asked me if I in fact "loved" Harry. But I answered him with absolutely no hesitation. I don't love Harry, although I do care immensely for him and those feelings seem to be increasing at every moment. I do see myself with Harry on a personal level, but these weeks we've drifted and now the thought that his life may be in danger frightens me. With that terror there's also anger.

I have always ensured that Harry understood that he can speak to me, even open up to me. He has told me he is in a group, which I only assume is a gang. There's been countless murders which haven't been reported but I don't understand how Harry can have a connection with them.

His loving and caring nature can also scare me. He's intimidating at times, but then he's also so soft and I almost feel sorry for him sometimes. I hate pity, but what I have towards him isn't pity. No. It's the issue that I would do everything in my power to protect him. To protect the boy who has a dark past but doesn't allow that to affect his optimistic attitude towards the world. Yet I fear his views are spiralling downwards to the world of pessimistic fear.

The gravel cracked underneath my tires as I pressed on the brakes of my car and shut the engine. The air was chilly outside and I was glad that I happened to grab a coat before my hasty departure from my apartment. I remember speaking to Harry about these woods, how the interest and want to always visit excited me, but at this hour the tall trees and croaks of insects and nocturnal animals frightened me.

My father was always afraid of what lurked beneath the shadows and continuously warned me to be aware of my surroundings. To not be oblivious to the creations and creatures our Earth inhabited. I often ignored the conspiracies, but as I walked down the gravel path to the unknown I questioned myself. I know that I'm not alone. Whether it's paranoia or not I feel the burning feel of being watched.

"I specifically asked for only him, and not the others!" I stopped in my tracks and listened to the deep voice of a stranger speak.

"But of course, Sir," my ears perked at the sound of a foreign accent that I couldn't exactly figure out. It was definitely European, but the location baffled me. "The more the merrier, yes? Their presence will only anger your son during the shift."