Chapter 2: Arrival

Lucia's P.O.V

We arrived back home early afternoon with the house looking the same as it always has. Pulling into the driveway I noticed that Luz's window was opened.

Once we came to a full stop I sucked in a deep breath before letting it out. Leaning over I opened the car door stepping out.

Standing tall it was a nice early summer day turning around I walked over to the trunk popping it open and grabbing everything I needed before closing it.

"By the way I'm taking Luz out of town for a few days on her birthday, and don't worry I'll make sure she stays safe" I spoke out as we walked along towards the front door.

"That place better be magical enough to keep her out of trouble" if only she knew.

We approached the door and with a twist of a key the door swung wide opened, stepping in Camila gave out our presence.

"Luz were home!" she shouted out.

"Coming!" as I heard Luz coming crashing through everything upstairs with a few painful whines with it.

Waiting for her arrival we walked over to the kitchen setting my bat down next to the door and throwing my backpack onto the counter top.

Though it didn't take long for Luz to appear because with the blink of an eye she darted at me pulling me into a tight hug.

"Missed you too you weasel" as I ruffled her hair.

"Anyways time to get off" I had to basically pry her arms off of me which wasn't very easy.

"Hey the new azura book came out and I got it wanna go and read it!?" It didn't sound bad to be honest.

"Yeah just let me do a few things and unpack and I'll be right there" with that Luz made a little happy squeal and ran off upstairs.

Letting out a sigh I turned to my mom.

"I always forget how much work she is..." I sputtered out as I walked over to the fridge to see if there was anything to eat.

"She loves you though" grabbing a leftover sandwich I closed the fridge looking back at her.

"A little too much" rolling my eyes.

"Well I'm going to go up and unpack" grabbing my backpack and throwing it back over my shoulders.

"Good idea" as she picked up a huge stack of papers from the table.

I stopped and looked at her "Is that just from the hospital?" I was actually shocked by how many there were.

"Unfortunately yes, but someone has to do it" I respected her a lot for what she did for other people.

"Ok well I'm gonna get going because if I don't go Luz is going to start whining" I walked back to the front door grabbing my bat.

"By the way I cleaned your room and your bedding"

Fresh sheets are the best.

"Gracias, mamá" I replied as I skipped upstairs to my room.

Stopping at the top of the stairs I looked over to see Luz's door open hearing her getting exited over something.

A little chuckle escaped my mouth before I walked over to my room. Pushing the door open I was greeted to my old classic style.

My guns and roses poster on the wall, a double sized bed with a plaid quilt. It was nice being back especially after spending 2 weeks in the boiling isles plus a night in a holding cell.

I hope Luz will like the place I still don't know if it's a good idea.

Dropping my bat and kicking it under my bed I hopped on it tossing my backpack to the side. I laid there for a bit intertwining my fingers looking at the frosty white ceiling.

Then there was a buzzing coming from my pocket.

It was my phone, reaching in I grabbed it to see who was calling.

It was Wionna...and if she had to call there's a job that needs to be done.

Actually wasn't a bad idea though, I'm taking Luz to the boiling isles in a couple days anyways.

So I answered it.

"Hey Lucille" that deep tone I was always greeted by.

"I got a job" I postured myself up.

It stayed quiet for a bit before I responded.

"How much?"

"$5,000" hearing this startled me.

"Each?!"

"No well both take 2,500, are you in?" I pondered for a second to think of an answer.

"I'm coming back in a couple days with my sister...I'll be in touch" with that I ended the call.

Putting my phone back in my pocket I scooted to edge of my bed resting my hands on my thighs.

Looking down I could see the tip of my bat sticking out from under the. Memories started to flood into my mind, good ones, bad ones, dangerous ones.

"Lucia!"

I snapped up seeing Luz barging into my room.

"Hey do you know how to fucking knock!" I shouted out a little too harshly.

"I'm sorry...I'll leave" Luz halted before turning around for my door.

"Wait! No stay, I'm sorry just not a good time..." I motioned Luz to come sit next to me.

She hopped up on my bed looking forwards as well.

"I'm just so stressed" clenching my hands onto my thighs.

"Why?" I let my head hang low letting out a sigh, Luz was still looking at me waiting for a answer.

I looked back up loosening my grip.

"Life isn't always butterflies and rainbows Luz" I could tell she was still looking at me while I made sure not to break eye contact with the wall.

"And one day you I'll show you why" there was strong silence for a moment.

"Is that why you went to your friends for the last couple weeks" I hesitated to answer trying to remember what excuse I made.

"Yes and no?" I tried to laugh it off, thankfully it worked this time because I got Luz giggling.

After the laughter died down Luz spoke out again.

"Did you get fired from your job" I forgot that generally happens when your get arrested.

"Yeah but I hated the job anyways" sarcastically rubbing it off.

We both giggled a bit before silence bellowed before us again though I was done talking here.

"Hey how about we read that azura book now?" Luz hearing me made her eyes light up like fire works and with a blink of an eye she darted out of my room towards hers.

Hopping off my bed and a good stretch I reached into my pocket pulling my phone out. I stared at it for a second rubbing my thumb over the screen.

"Hmm yeah not today" I left my phone on my desk walking out closing my door behind me.