08

☆

FOUR WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE THE INCIDENT in Defence against the Dark Arts and Clover Carstairs could whole-heartedly say that she disliked Professor Moody immensely. As soon as the class had been dismissed, the girl had jumped to her feet in anger and bolted out of the room. It had taken all three of her friends and two hours to try to calm the girl down as she ranted and rambled about the stupidity of the lesson and the cruelty that ran through the man's veins.

Looking back at the lesson, she supposed that all in all, it had worked and they were all truly aware of all the horrors the unforgivable curses held but still Clover stuck to her words. The way that the lesson was carried out was morally wrong.

So now as Clover stood near the foggy window in the Hufflepuff common room on the fourth of October, she allowed a small spider to slowly crawl onto her hand while the Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson lingered in the depths of her mind. The girl slowly pushed open the small, circular window, allowing the creature to escape into the outside world.

September had come and gone quicker than the blink of an eye and the chilly mornings of October had begun to kick in. Clover's first month of sixth year at Hogwarts had been quite uneventful— the only exciting event being people entering their names into the goblet of fire, but today was the day.

It was the day of Cedric Diggory's seventeenth birthday and the sun was shining down in glorious beams on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was eight-thirty in the morning and Clover, Juliette and Hugo all stood around the common room, clutching gifts as they waited for Cedric to come down from the dorms.

Clover had managed to wake up Juliette and Hugo early, in order to properly surprise the boy when he came down into the common room. It wasn't every day that a wizard turned seventeen, and the three were determined to make Cedric's birthday unforgettable.

"Where is he?" Juliette huffed in frustration, folding her arms as she flopped onto an armchair. "Hugo, go wake him up or something!"

"He was in the bathroom when I left," the boy replied, making his way over to the two girls. "He'll be down in any minute—" Juliette scoffed and swung her hand out. "OW! Stop hitting me!"

Footsteps clattered from above, signalling that someone was walking down the stairs leading to the boy's dormitories. Clover grabbed Juliette and Hugo by the arm in excitement, as they all waited for the boy to turn the corner.

"SURP- Ernie?!"

The three exchanged a quick glance as the fourth year Hufflepuff scrunched his nose in confusion.

"What?" Ernie questioned, eyeing the three as they awkwardly scratched their heads.

"Oh for fucks sake, Ernie!" Juliette burst, throwing her hands up in the air. "We're trying to surprise Cedric!"