chapter 49

ricky's pov

i head off to my first class on cloud 9 entirely forgetting the throbbing in my head, truly. my emotions change immediately when the bell rings for class to start. i get frustrated and discouraged in my math class not being able to follow anything they're talking about. i don't know how to do anything. i huff out a harsh breath as the teacher is talking through the lesson. a lesson that i will not understand by the end of class like everyone else. i've missed countless lessons and i don't see how i can even begin to catch up. i'm so stressed and overwhelmed. none of this is going to make sense to me. my mind shifts back to the pain i've been in since i'm not longer feeling even remotely happy in the moment. sure the pain meds tremendously help, but i'm just mentally exhausted and it's the first class of the day. i give up listening to the lesson. if i don't understand the last 18 lessons, then i'm sure as heck not gonna understand this one. i lay my head down on the desk with my arms underneath for comfort fighting to stay awake as i wait for the bell ready to see nini in my other class later. which also means seeing greyson.

nini's pov

i walk into government to take my usual seat that just so happens to be next to ricky and his not so favorite person greyson. greyson comes in first sitting next to me and starting up a conversation. i respond occasionally over the course of the two minutes i'm eyeing the door waiting for ricky to walk in. i haven't heard from him since this morning and wanna know how he's feeling. i honestly didn't catch onto what greyson was chatting about i just know it was along the lines of a hard test to take. while ricky was out of school, i pretty much distanced from greyson in terms of . i know he's a nice guy and always has been to me. but i haven't been blind to a few off things he's done that made me feel like he's being flirty, but i also think it could all be in my dumb head. so i pretty block it out especially because i simply have no interest so it's harder to notice things he does. ricky finally walks through the door and i perk up. he looks so tired and i just wanna drive him back home and cuddle up on the couch. he takes a seat next to me at his desk to my left, "how you feeling?" i question with a sad look knowing it's probably a lot. "i'm ready for us to go home," he tells me which pretty much sums up that his day isn't going the best it could. "yeah," i say in agreeance and understanding. "why don't you text my moms and one of them will come get you. i'll grab the rest of your stuff," i suggest. he responds with a sweet look, "no, i don't wanna leave nins. just looking forward to us going home." i nod my head along wanting the same thing. it's so cute hearing him say that and just assuming that i'm going home with him which i definitely am, but hearing him talk about us seems like it's becoming our new normal. not that we were attached at the hip as best friends, but it's different hearing him talk about us now since our change in relationship. i open my mouth to say something to ricky, but i realized that i had cut off by greyson when i hear him speaking to me again, "sooo anyway..." he chimes in and it kinda bugged me. i turn to look at him seeing that he's leaning on his crossed arms towards me, "hmm?" "we were talking," he says kind of rudely and it came out of nowhere. it's like he can be so sweet to me until ricky is there. i just look over to ricky who is already giving a very bold angry look directly to greyson. it worries me for a second and it only worsens when ricky speaks, "well she wasn't exactly talking to you." my eyebrows shoot up in shock and place a hand to his leg, "stop," i mouth when his eyes glance to mine at my touch. i remove my hand and sit back in my seat to see greyson's face just plain annoyed. he opens his mouth to shoot back some response i can only assume was gonna be rude too. that is, until the teacher enters the room closing the door signaling class to begin. the next hour feels so tense as i can sense both boys shooting glances at each other when the other looks to me. i repeatedly check the clock just wanting to get on with the day and escape this weird boy thing. eventually, the bell rings and i stand up slinging my book bag over my shoulder. ricky visibly rushes to come to my side gripping my hand. despite this, he gently guides us to the hallway just trying to get away from greyson. greyson follows us out of the classroom to the hallway just as quickly though.

ricky's pov

i was already in a mood from it being my first day back and i have to come into one of my two classes with nini to see him talking her ear off. i seriously believe that he's trying to purposely tick me off in the most subtle way he can in front of nini. and it works. i rush to get out of class with nini because i won't those few minutes of passing time with her. just to have a happy moment for the first time today since school started today, but no. greyson decides to follow us in the hallway to try and talk to nini more. i don't think he knows how to take a hint. and nini's just too kind and unbothered of a person to tell him to back off or just simply leave her alone. "so nini!" he says to get her attention. she stops our walking to turn around to answer him. meanwhile we're still holding hands and he must be too dense to understand what that means. "yeah," she says sweetly. jeez why is she always so freaking nice no matter the circumstances. "you never got back to me after the basketball game," he hints in a far too flirty way than i find acceptable. he doesn't know when to stop and he looks to me after saying it, so i know one hundred percent that he's trying to antagonize me. i look to nini as i shift on my feet to stand taller and firmer with an, i'm sure, angry look plastered on my face. she knits her eyebrows together, "i already told you that the whole group could get together to hang out," she states. "i liked it better when it was only the two of us." she brings her free hand to hold my wrist that's holding her other hand so that both of her hands are on me. she shakes her head no very obviously just before she speaks, "no thank you greyson," and she begins to turn us to continue walking. i do my best to stay silent because it'll just make things worse and i know that but i'm this close to opening my mouth. "wait nins!" he leaps forward to reach for her arm to stop her in her place. i don't think twice and i yank my hand from our hold to pull her closer to me by the waist, "she said no. learn what that means." she thanks me wordlessly with a tiny smile pressing her face into my chest. he just gives a dirty look, but doesn't seem like he's going to respond again. i take it upon myself to have some fun before nini and i walk away, "oh and by the way. she's too busy after school anyway. we have a date," i finish with a cheery smile and wink at him. nini and i turn around and make our way down the hall. "a date. huh. better be good bowen," she says giggling leaning into me. "oh it will be. you're gonna love it. you and me laying on the couch watching a movie. a real dream come true," i say sarcastically, but still excited to spend even more time with her. as soon as i'm completely better i'm making it a priority to take her out on a proper date and i can't wait. our first date was perfect, but i'm anxious to take her out for a night, for real. especially after these physically and emotionally draining last few weeks on the both of us. "works for me," she jokes and i squeeze her side as i laugh into her while we walk.

greyson is pictured above to give you a a visual if you want :). i know this is super late, since i was kinda just gonna leave it open for y'all to picture him how you wanted to. but if ya wanted a visual heres one bc i some people do :)