Recoil

Nira didn't move, still laying on the floor from Stefan's work. Anytime Nira tried to move pain shot through her body and the memories rushed back into her mind. If the choice was between remembering her torture or laying still, Nira would choose to lay still every time. She'd been so close. If more attention was paid to her Spanish course lectures, she may have made it to the embassy. Nira hurt too much for self-pity.

What would she do next? What could she do next? Doubt was creeping in. The thought of Nira never being rescued became more real as the seconds ticked away. The concrete floor was hard and uncomfortable. The chair would be more comfortable if she could bring herself to get in it. Nira just lay there.

There was no way to know how long Nira was on the floor before someone was sent to collect her. She didn't resist while being plucked from the cold floor and barely reacted when she was placed in a warm bath. In the water, Nira couldn't recall what she saw while being carried from the chamber. Before the heat of the bath, her mind was elsewhere, a separation needed to protect what little sanity could remain after her ordeals. Several hands worked on her limp body, Nira barely tried to hold her head up and her long hair pooled on the surface of the water.
When the bath was done, Nira was wrapped tightly in a thick towel and led to a room near whatever bathroom she'd been in. Made to lay on her stomach, Nira didn't resist when the unseen hands maneuvered her limbs. She could hear voices but not make out any words. The cloth covering her back was removed and some sort of ointment applied. It stung, badly but Nira couldn't move and silent tears flowed freely from her eyes.

By the time Nira had been left alone, she'd cried herself out and her whole body felt sore. She knew her face would be puffy and even though she was exhausted, knew that sleep wouldn't come easy. The accommodations were better than the room with the concrete floor and through her tired eyes, Nira realized she'd been brought to a small bedroom. She couldn't begin to guess where. All Nira had left to cling to was stubbornness. And very little of that remained. Instinct was telling Nira to find a way out. Think of another way to escape. Thoughts that were very quickly stamped out when Nira remembered she had no way to know where she was. And no way to get there other than her bare feet.

She knew logically, the best thing to do was wait and see. But, she'd been so close to freedom. So close to being out of hell. Nira couldn't know how much time passed, but once the adrenaline was leaving her body she began thinking long term. There was no doubt that she'd have more ugliness to deal with. But all things considered, her current accommodations were a lot better than Nira was before. As it was, needed to not antagonize and cause more harm than good. Escape required being as healthy as possible. As Nira shifted her weight across the bed, she realized her body would need time to be ready for another attempt. Nira hoped she found the patience.