030 - Restless

I couldn't sleep at all.

My heart was pounding and my head felt so energetic but my eyes were drooping.

My body uncomfortably shifts on my bed in this new house. After the coronation, the Scouts regained their honour shit and my squad got their own base.

My inferiors were able to sleep very fast actually. They were comfortable and happy with their new abode.. but I'm a bit unconsciously ungrateful.

It's 3:46AM.

The last time I was easily able to have some shut eye was when I was in Levi's arms. I miss him but it's for the best. I don't want to get hurt.

There's a knock on my door. My head turns towards it but it felt odd. My squad contains heavy sleepers other than Luka but that boy wouldn't dare touch my door.

I slowly get up, feet now touching the floor. It creaks as I tip-toe closer and closer. My hands now rest on the frame and I lean my dominant eye against the hole.

Hange?

Knowing it's just a good friend of mine, I take the nob and twist it to fully reveal them. They were wide awake and even dressed up. At this hour?

"Section Commander Hange," I lowly greet which sounded more like an exhale. I look to their hand and see multiple keys, so that's how they got in.

"Drop the formalities, (F/N). Aren't we good friends now?!" they roll their eyes, putting the keys into their pocket.

I only chuckle. "So what's so important to make you break into my house?" I cross my arms, comfortably standing now.

Their face is turns serious. Hange clicks their tongue, "I'm sorry I intruded at a late hour but I'm here to ask about Captain Levi."

This surprises me at first. I didn't expect such a discussion at such a late.. or erm, an early hour.

I guess she caught on. "What about the captain?" I clear my throat, looking intently at them.

They make sure our surroundings were clear before pushing me into the room, then locking the door behind us. Hange bites their lip and tilts their head. "Okay, straight to the point. Why is Levi acting different?"

"Levi? Acting different?" I was only taken off guard momentarily. "I don't suppose so? Doesn't he act normal?"

"That's the thing!" they exclaim, clenching their fists and looking intently at me. "He's acting normal! You hear that? N. O. R. M. A. L. That's already beyond preposterous considering his sudden personality change after you came into our lives!"

I sigh, letting my eyes close for a bit. I let all Hange's words sink in before opening my mouth, "yeah. Maybe he and I did have a fight.. or I had some sort of revelation.." their eyes excitedly lit up at my remarks, "but that may be only because he and I aren't really meant to be friends."

Hange's smile immediately drops, my statements obviously not satisfying them. "Friends.." lightly leaves their lips, as if trying to fully get a grasp of that term. "Are you sure what you guys have is friendship?"

I scoff. My body turns and I lean myself against the wall, looking down. Hange finally lets their self in and stands in front of me.

"I cant believe you're hiding things from me," they pout.

"I'm not hiding anything," I snap. "And Levi isn't either so don't bother asking him your stupid questions too."

"Awh, but (F/N)!" Hange tries to play around but I've had enough of it.

"Why would you think I'd have a romantic relationship with him? Let alone any mutual feelings? Maybe if his mother that he called a prostitute bitch actually taught that short ass how to treat a lady," I chuckle.

The room is silent for a bit.

My heavy breaths were all that were heard. Why wasn't Hange saying anything?

After almost succumbing to the silence, I open my mouth to only get cut off. "Maybe you guys aren't together. You're right."

"Ahh, finally!" I celebrate, then moving away to see them out my room. "Thank—"

I get cut off when a hard slap harshly pricks my face. A gasp leaves my mouth and I touch my pained cheek, finally looking back at them. Hange's eyes were on fire and now my shirt's collars are in their hands and they thrust me back against the wall.

"Hange.."

"Never say those things about Levi's mother. You got it?!" they yell in my face and I was frozen. "Sure, Levi may say harsh things against his mother but that doesn't give YOU a right to do so too given the fact that you two aren't together. He misses her so much and he only brushes her off to boast about his strength. You can say all you want about the captain. You can call him short, an asshole, cold hearted — but NEVER insult his mother."

Never insult his mother..

Oh fuck, I just slandered Miss Levi..

Even I'm surprised with what I've said. My pupils dilate and I bite my lip, all I could do was deflate in my friend's grasp.

Hange's right.

"I get why you and Levi aren't friends anymore.." they aggressively let go of me and walks out of the room, leaving me completely in shock. "Tch, didn't even apologize." they mumble as their voice fades.

My legs give up and I fall to the floor, pushing my knees to my chest. I wrap my arms around myself and whimpers leave my mouth.

Levi's also in pain.

And I was too blind to see that.

I was so busy grazing him with my own shitty problems that he didn't really get a chance to have his share in confessions nor rants to me.

He's been alone for so long.. and I left him on his own once again just because I didn't want to lose my position as Captain if Commander Erwin were to ever find out about us.

"I'm so sorry, Levi.."