chapter 2: the roof

harry was always a fan of showing affection through gifts, they were his love language after all. always going over the top with romantic gestures and surprise presents. it was his way of showing simon how much he cared for him.

simon was quite the opposite, preferring the sentimental value of things rather than the price. of course he was still thankful whenever harry would come home with a bag full of presents he got on the way home from work.

when harry wasn't spending his wages on expensive jewellery and clothes for simon, he would add money to the date jar, which was a big glass jar sat on their mantle piece that at the end of the week would be spent on a date.

simon had thought of this idea months back, there was nothing he loved more than date nights. well other than harry of course.

they've been everywhere together, cafes, restaurants, parks, cinemas, ice rinks, theme parks, zoos, you name it they've been there.

winter wonderland was their all time favourite though, christmas had always been simon's absolute favourite time of the year, and last year was his first with harry. neither of them were really close with their families so they happily spent christmas day with each other instead.

and a week prior to christmas day simon took harry to winter wonderland. it had been his happy place since he was a kid, every year he would see hundreds of happy couples and hoped one day he could experience that too.

and there he was, on the ferris wheel with the love of his life after spending all day shopping for each other.

it doesn't get better than this.

"when I used to come here as a kid I used to be shit scared of heights, so I never went on this" simon told harry when they reached the top.

"you were a pussy you know, we're like 10 metres high" joked harry, gaining him a fake offended face and a punch in the arm.

since it was mid december in dreary england the temperature was in the minuses, both boys had atleast 4 layers on, and also thick gloves that made it extremely hard to hold hands.

simon didn't feel cold though, harry's presence provided him with warmth.

a comfortable silence filled the air, all that could be heard was distant cheers and screams from the rides down below. up here it was just them though, and that's what it feels like all the time. when they're together, everything else is just background.

"hey harry, I love you" simon whispered, nuzzling into harry's shoulder and stroking his hand with his thumb.

it's not like harry hadn't hear him say it before, hell he says it a million times a day. but there was just something about this time that felt special, like he really meant it.

"I love you too simon, more than you could ever know" harry whispered back, so quietly he was afraid simon didn't hear. harry was greeted with a soft kiss in response, I guess he did hear.

and it's one of those moments that you know you'll miss, a moment you have to fully appreciate before it's gone. harry knew it was one of those times.

soon they felt the ride come to a stop, it felt like they had been up there for hours when in reality it was only 5 minutes.

harry felt different afterwards too, like he had seen a side of simon he hadn't seen before. simon avoided talking about his childhood like the plague, harry never pushed him to talk about it either. so even simon telling him that small fact was a huge step for the both of them.

an hour passed and they were walking home, hand in hand and in blissful silence. they reached a street full of big fancy hotels, all atleast 30 stories high that towered above them. they were almost at the end of the street when simon randomly stopped, letting go of harry's hand and staring up at this one huge building.