Chapter 24: Back again...

Start from the beginning

"Ah...that's true. Dang! But I am no good at cooking and I don't like the taste of blood. Maybe human can cook it and not eat it anyway." (monkey)

"You mean to pretend to be sick again? Like someone would fall for it now. Ah the tragedies of human! I will sing a song of penance." (parrot)

"Don't sing! Noooo..." (monkey)

But it was too late. Monkey was stunned already. Looked like parrot's singing could even petrify a monkey, let alone a human.

In the meantime, Raka was headed towards the palace to meet the Queen. Almost a week had passed in game. His disease had also advanced.

"Disease window"

%

Unknown disease - Stage 2: 40%. The disease has not been diagnosed yet. Old wounds will open and cause bleeding effects often.

20% movement penalty is applied. Endurance decreases 20%.

%

Stage 1 did not have any penalties. But as soon as it reached Stage 2 all these penalties started showing up. With the speed with which it was advancing he would be dead in another 3 weeks in game or like a week in real time. Which made this visit to the Queen doubly important.

He approached the palace gates where the guard stopped him.

"State your business."

"Hi I am Raka. I would be meeting the Queen."

"Ah yes. We have been informed. Please follow this guard inside."

Ilmentia is a competitive monarchy. Look it up on the internet and if you find the term then the author will replace it. It was a term Raka had made up. Why? Because the ruler of Ilmentia was chosen through a competition. The competition was aptly named as well; 'The Right to Rule'.

Spending hours in the library looking at books and trying to learn his new found skill of herbal medicine, he had stumbled on a book on Ilmentian history. Seventeen generations ago there was great turmoil as noble after noble fought each other to take the throne when the ruling monarch died without an heir. This was the last time Ilmentia had a proper ruling family. Peace came when someone called the 'Oracle' intervened and set up this competition where all those who wish to rule would participate. The winner would then be crowned King or Queen.

He could not find any details of the competition anywhere though some books did mention that it was a test of more than strength or skill. Initially this competition was reserved only for the various noble houses. But over the years it had changed. Anyone who had been knighted could now participate. Hence it was named the 'The Right to Rule'. Seven generations ago, the first commoner became King.

The present Queen also did not belong to a noble family. The books did not talk much of her origin but they did say she was born in a fisherman family.

'Thinking of it, Lady Altia and Verina would also be able to participate in the future. Guess I really made friends with the right people eh!'

In a huge palace, the Queen resided. Raka followed the guard inside a huge archway entrance of a building which seemed to be made completely of marble. Like the Taj Mahal, it looked much grander up close. Inside was a small room, filled with guards standing at attention at regular intervals leading to a ornately carved metal door. Raka was asked to wait a while. And then a big gong was heard. The huge doors opened to let him in.