Chapter 12

Night had long overtaken the stormy grey skies as Ella and James laid on the sofa. She listened to the light pattering of the rain as James lightly brushed her hair with his fingers. The only light remaining in the room was from the fireplace which had begun to dim. As she laid with her head resting on James' chest, she found herself feeling a genuine happiness she had not felt in some time. Of course the feeling lasted only so long as her mind circled with all the questions from within.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Well now seems like the opportune time."

Ella let out a chuckle, "Why did you agree to an arranged marriage? I find it hard to believe you could not find a wife with a large dowry, for example Helen."

"Most women I find are only interested in my title and tend to act the way they believe a countess should act. As for Helen, she deserves someone who can love her the way she deserves and I would never be that man."

"I see. So you decided to cut though the pointless process of courting and marry someone you knew for certain was after your title."

He let out a laugh that vibrated through his chest, "Does that hinder my mystique in anyway?"

"Unless there is some dark secret as to how your family's wealth disappeared, than I am afraid yes it does."

"Alas no. My grandfather made some poor investments before his passing and never told my father. They continued to spend as if they had money they did not, and a few years later a solicitor arrived to inform my parents of their debt."

"How is it you still have ownership of Hamsfield? Would the bank not take it as payment?"

"Hamsfield was my mother's family's home. My father refused to sell it when I offered and that is what ultimately led to seeking a wife with a large dowry to her name."

"There must have been a better match. Preferably someone without as much notoriety."

"Several actually."

"And yet?"

James sighed before speaking, "No one knows what the real story is with you and your family. All it is, is gossip, someone who heard the story from another, no facts ever given."

"So you were interested in the mystery?"

"No, not at all. It was because you can keep a secret and have a certain level of discretion which was what was required."

"Well I am glad my newly acquired skills has use to you." She said dripping with sarcasm.

James looked down at her as if he was searching for something, "Can I ask you something now?"

"It seems only fair."

"Will you ever tell anyone the truth of what happened?"

"I would not want anyone to feel the need to potentially lie on my account." She quietly said.

"So it is as bad as they say." He stated more than asked.

She let out a hollow snort, "No rumors tend to make things worse than they are."

"Mr. Tyler believes otherwise."

"He lost his son, his legacy, his world. He has every right to be angry."

"Did you not lose someone too?" His thumb grazed along her jaw.

"More than one." She felt a lone tear roll down her cheek as silence filled the room. The fire now nothing but embers in the fireplace.

"We should get some sleep while the clothes finish drying. We can leave at first light."

"I am sure the staff is concerned." She said in a daze.

It did not take long for them to be overtaken by sleep. In the morning Ella woke still in James' arms. His warmth and security relaxing her from the memories of the nights conversation. Reluctantly, once he woke they dressed and headed outside, where they were greeted by the warming sun creeping in through the trees. As they began walking the rest of the road to Hamsfield, the tension from the night before returned and a weariness seeped into Ella's bones. As they found themselves at an easy pace, James laced his fingers with hers, surprising her. The gesture was enough to calm Ella and put a hopeful smile on her face as they continued the walk home.

******

Ella laid in bed, slowly waking from the slumber by the sensation of soft kisses caressing her skin. Two months had passed since the stormy night in the cottage. Ella and James had spent the nights since learning the intricacies of each others bodies. A knock from the door caused them both to let out a frustrated groan. Ella had decided that the only thing bad about having a house staff was that there was always someone to interrupt you when things were just becoming interesting. James hesitantly rolled on his back running a hand down his face on an exhale.

"Maybe we should just move to the cottage and leave the staff here." He groaned.

"But what would they do if they did not have us to interrupt at inopportune times?"

"That would be unfortunate for them would it not." James leaned in and gave her a soft kiss with a devilish smirk. "Come in Collins."

Mr. Collins entered the room slowly and kept his eyes respectfully averted from the bed, "Good morning My Lord, My Lady. I hope you had a pleasant nights rest."

"Yes Mr. Collins thank you. How was your evening?" Ella asked politely.

"Quite well thank you for asking." Mr. Collins' lips twitched with a hidden smile at her question.

"Is there something that is needed Collins?" Asked James.

"I thought you would like to know breakfast should be ready shortly. Also we have received word from Paisley that Mr. and Miss. Hawthorne have returned and sent invention for supper."

"I am surprised Charles lasted that long in London." Mused Ella.

"Helen likely kept him there."

"Should I send a reply?" Mr. Collins asked.

James looked over to Ella for her to answer the question. She could not hide the amused smirk on her face due to the fact he was allowing to answer the question when the answer was already known to them all.

"Send word we will be happy to attend supper at Paisley."

"Very good My Lady." Mr. Collins bowed stiffly and exited the room.

Once alone Ella turned to James, "I see you are allowing me to decide on social engagements now."

"You are the lady of the house, it only makes sense." He hummed while brushing a kiss to her neck.

A moan escaped her lips, "I suppose we should get dressed for the day."

"I find that a terrible idea. But you are right, we would not want to give the staff anymore reason to gossip that we may actually like one another."

"I shudder at the thought!"

James grudgingly got up and returned to his room while Ella called Jane up to assist her. Most of the day Ella spent in the drawing room reading while James worked in his study. Her mind drifted, as it had more frequently, to James. Although they had spent every night together, neither had spoke of what their relationship was becoming. Ella herself had avoided any semblance of feelings she may have had for him, almost as if deep down she expected something to damage the unique bond they were forming. Eventually she found herself seated next to James on the way to Paisley Park as the sun began to fade.

"Hmmm.... The last time we rode in this carriage we ended up stranded overnight in a storm." She stated.

"Maybe I can arrange for that to happen again." James leaned closed and ran his fingers through her hair. Ella's eyes closed in pleasure as she enjoyed his touch, waiting on bated breath for their lips to meet. The carriage jostled to a stop bringing them both out of the moment.

"It appears today is not our day." She whispered drifting closer to him.

"Than it is good we have many more."