Chapter 10

As the play entered intermission, Ella and the others headed out to the main lobby. James and Charles excused themselves to greet some of their acquaintances in attendance. Meanwhile Ella and the two other ladies found a quiet spot and mingled amongst themselves.

"So how are you enjoying your little surprise?" Becca asked coyly.

"Greatly to be honest. I never expected to be able to see it in person."

"One of the benefits of leaving your quaint little village I suppose." Helen pointed out.

"Helen does make a fine point. I never imagined how much I would enjoy being in London." Becca stated.

"It does have its charms that is for sure. I must ask though, how did you convince James to this little outing?" Ella asked.

Becca laughed heartily leaning closer to her, "I did not have to convince him one bit considering this was all his idea."

For a brief moment Ella was frozen with shock. As she regained her senses, she looked over to James who was with a group of well dressed men in deep conversation. She studied him closely and could clearly see the boredom in his eyes. Ella had come to discover other the past months that there was nothing he enjoyed less than small talk. When she asked him once why, he said it was a waste of time, and even from across the room she could sense his indifference to the conversation.

Just as quickly as she had begun to watch him, he turned his gaze to her as if feeling her eyes on him. Ella noticed a fleeting brightening to his eyes before he slightly bowed his head to her. The simple shared moment between the two brought a hidden shy smile to cross her lips.

"I spent years hoping to see that look if even for a second." Helen's voice broke the quiet of the group. Helen looked down to her hands looking unsure of herself. It was a sight Ella thought she would never witness from the usually confident woman before her.

"Helen I am truly sorry if any of this situation has caused you pain." Ella placed a hand gently on Helen's shoulder.

"No, no do not be silly. You could have been much worse. I tried so hard to hate you, but you had to be so... well you." Helen said while raising her head and Ella caught a slight bit of moisture in her stormy grey eyes.

"Well that is certainly one way to describe someone." Becca said on a gentle laugh.

The three ladies shared a quiet smile with one another as James and Charles rejoined them along with a few of the gentlemen that they had been conversing with. Ella would have normally been attentive listening to the introductions, but a figure in the crowd caught her attention. Her emotions swirled within her as the man approached. Becca had sensed the change in her friend and placed a comforting hand on Ella's arm as she spotted the man herself. Ella took a deep steadying breath as the man bowed to the party around her.

"Miss. Hunter what a surprise." The man spoke with hidden venom.

"Lady Winters I believe you mean sir." Becca harshly interjected.

"Ah, yes. Thank you Miss Chambers how could I be so thoughtless."

"It is no matter Mr. Tyler. Please allow me to introduce you to my husband Lord Winters." Ella straightened her posture and focused on slowing her rapid heartbeat as Mr. Tyler's dark empty eyes leered on her.

"A pleasure I am sure Mr. Tyler." James voice had a rough protective tone that Ella had never heard before.

"My curiosity has taken over, how do you know each other exactly?" Charles looked between Ella and the newcomer as if they were caged animals preparing to attack.

"Our families were once well connected. That reminds me how is your sister?"

For the briefest moment Ella's heart stopped. The distaste, no hatred, in his voice was something that would not go unnoticed. She had hoped that she would never see Mr. Tyler again or be reminded of the past that caused this once pleasant, kind man cold. Ella took a deep breath once more and plastered on a gentle, kind smile on her face.

"Mr. Tyler surely you must be mistaken. You know full well sir I have no sister." The words tasted bitter in her mouth. The lie felt hollow, mostly because it was. Everyone in high society had heard the rumors and gossip, the ones she had tried to push aside. The ones that she sacrificed her happiness to erase.

"Again how foolish of me to forget such a thing." Mr. Tyler had a victorious grin on his face, one that was once that of a youthful, handsome gentleman withered with pain and disgust. His eyes slid around to the large circle of people around them and a sinister light shone through.

"You seem to be making quite a fool of yourself Mr. Tyler. Perhaps you should find yourself a drink and get sorted." Becca hissed.

The glare he gave Becca, the unmistakable loathing, was something Ella has become familiar with. Mr. Tyler once more looked around the group, and upon seeing the subtle glances toward Ella, a satisfied smirk appeared. He excused himself with a gentle bow knowing he accomplished exactly what he had wanted.

"Who was that man with such horrid disposition?" Asked Helen with a near seething tone.

"An unfortunate former acquiescence." Becca said almost mournfully.

The party around Ella continued to discuss the event that just transpired. Words slipped by unregistered as she attempted to steady herself. She blinked several times trying to hold back the tears that threatened to escape. A hand softly brushed the small of the back, causing her to stiffen considerably more. She look up to see James focused solely on her. His eyes so soft, full of concern it almost broke her. Ella knew he should be angry, she had caused a scene in a public area full of some of the most paramount people of the Ton. Yet the look he gave her said entirely something else.

"Ella?" His voice was soft and quiet causing a tightness in her chest that made it hard for her to breathe.

"Excuse me." Ella tipped her head and calmly made for the door ignoring the eyes following her.

As she stepped outside, the cold January air hit her. It felt refreshing over her skin heated for the embarrassment. Ella looked around before walking down the street, faintly hearing her name being called behind her. She wandered the streets of London trying to keep from thinking back to how one moment changed her entire life. She harshly thought how she could have been so foolish, so stupid.

She sighed remembering the footsteps that shadowed her. James had kept pace behind her since the theater always close yet far enough to give her space. Using her sound as permission, he slowly closed the distance between them and Ella suddenly felt heavy fabric over her shoulders. In her rush to leave she had forgotten her coat and had only begun to notice the biting cold on her skin. James matched her pace and together they walked in companionable silence as they headed home.