Chapter Twenty Three

INOLA SAT ON THE FLOOR, LOOKING AT RANDOM pictures of Uki. French had stepped out to go grocery shopping and being bored in the house, Inola found herself back in the same room he had banned her from going into. She sat with her legs tucked under her, looking at pictures of his wife. She was gorgeous to Inola. She knew everybody died, but maybe because the girl was so young it just seemed more sadder.

Inola was interested in how French's wife passed away. French never talked about her and quiet frankly, his impertinent personality might've been due to the death of his wife. Inola just couldn't see him being like this naturally and seeing the vibrant girl in the pictures being with a man who had an attitude like the one he had now.

Inola was trying to find something, anything that gave more background on them other than pictures. A journal written by Uki or French or something. He didn't even share with her how the girl died. Inola had plenty of opportunities to ask the neighbor Kurt; but she was sure because the neighbor didn't know her, that wouldn't happen. He'd just go back to French and snitch that she'd been asking around.

Inola neatly stacked the pictures back where she got them from and ran to the door. She peeked her head out to make sure the coast was clear still before going back inside the room. She searched the draws and shelves and gasped when her hand knocked over a CD.

She picked it up and dusted it off. It had a few scratches on it and the permanent marker writing had worn off. It obviously was very old. She turned the CD over and it was blank on the other side except for the scratches on that side as well. Inola took it and left the room. She was sure he wouldn't even notice the CD missing. It didn't seem like this is something he remembered or cared about due to the condition it was in. It wasn't even in a case.

Inola went straight upstairs to French's room. It was the only room she remembered seeing a laptop in.

He never locked his room door when he stepped out. He had a gun under the bed in case she needed to get to it. He had weapons stored all over the house, but he told her about the one under the bed because it would be easy to handle and if anything was to happen while he was away, she had access to some sort of protection, besides kitchen knives.

Inola pushed open the door and stepped in, going over to the computer. She powered it on and took a seat in his swivel chair. His room was so big and so neat. It smelled good too, she turned back to the screen and sighed when she noticed the password box come up.

She tried his name and when she didn't get through she figured it was his wife's name. She didn't know his wife's name or anything else that would be important to him, to have even an idea what the password might be. A yellow sticky note was sticking out from underneath the laptop that had some long random code on it. It said 'password' so she tried her luck and was shocked when she saw the circle loading and the word 'welcome' come up.

She figured the password was random, but made complicated to keep people out. Inola found the CD slide and pressed the button for it to pop out. Part of her doubted it would play because it was in bad condition, but she tried anyway. The screen went black as another circle came on the screen, indicating the video was loading. She had a perfect view of the front yard so she could see when French pulled back in.

Inola was surprised when the video came up. She began to watch as it came up clear as day, despite it wasn't in the best condition.

The camera was pointed toward the back of a random woman. She was in a long, creme nightgown laying on her stomach on a bed while the person filming just had it pointed at her. Suddenly the person's arm outstretched and slapped her ass, causing her to shout.

The volume was up loud, Inola couldn't hear anything but she heard the vibration from the scream and turned the volume down a bit.

"French stop, don't do that baby that hurts." Uki groaned, reaching back to rub her butt.