3: The Vicks VapoRub

Vihaan

"You think that's the girl?..."

I played with the strap of my band impatiently as the others mumbled. "Come on. Let's go! Why are you wasting time?"

"Khatri, look at her once." Jay persuaded. His voice was different.

"No! I'm leaving, you guys do whatever the heck you want."

Seeing my adamant behavior, the others sighed and resumed walking.

"I think she's living in the wrong era. Look what she's wearing to college."

I froze. This seemed to have triggered some curiosity inside of me. I shouldn't have looked...but I did.

Her simple pink colored kurta swayed around her as she walked. She glanced down at the paper in hand and then looked back up, continuing to read the numbers listed by each door. Someone shoved past her, bumping into her shoulder. She turned around, about to say something, but disregarded the thought. Rubbing her shoulder, she looked ahead, uncertain.

"What is she wearing? Who wears a kurti to college?" Jay mocked, laughing.

The Rishi joined in, chiding along with him, except for Vicks. He had his goofy expression on.

"Excuse me lads. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." 

"Vicky...don't." Rishi warned. But it was too late, he already fastened his pace while we followed behind at a distance, curiously. We watched as he approached the stunned looking girl, who looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there at this moment.

"Vicks," Vicky introduced, flashing his "oh-so charming" smile. The girl just stared at him, trying to comprehend the move he just made. Very smooth, Vicky, very smooth. Suddenly, she reached into her bag and pulled out a Vicks VapoRub, placing it into the hands of the dumbstruck Vicky, and walked past him, not even bothering to glance back.

In the next three seconds, three things happened.

One: Jay choked on his water, spraying it all over a younger student walking by, earning himself a few scolds.

Two: Vicky returning with the biggest look of dejection as he glanced back at the Vick VapoRub in his hand.

And three: I, for the first time in a while, lost my balance over a girl, tripping over my own feet.

Regaining my composure, I consoled Vicky. "Chalta hai bhai, chalta hai. Pehli mulakat mein ladki davai deti hai. Aadat dal lai. (It's ok bro, it's ok. It's normal for girls to give medicine at first sight. Get used to it.)"

He looked back at me with a I-will-strangle-you-to-death-right-now type of look. Thankfully, before his look turned true, the bell rang and we quickly rushed towards the classroom, late by a few minutes as usual.

"May we come in, Sir." Rishi asked, as we already started stepping through the door.

"Late as usual, are we?" the teacher glared, making us stop on our tracks.

Jay decided to speak up. "Kya Sir...hum toh time pe hi the. Par...yeh Vicky! Yeh Vicky ladki dekhne mein late ho gaya. Isme humari kya galti? Aap hi bataye sir?! (What sir....we were on time only. But...this Vicky! This Vicky was too busy looking at a girl. Now what is our fault in that? You tell us no Sir?!)

Vicky looked back at us in utter disbelief. "Har bar mere naam ki hi chithi fad te ho, yaar? (Every time, y'all put me at fault!?)"

"Okay okay, enough. I don't need you to entertain the class. Come in all of you," Sir permitted, and we filed in, walking towards our seats in the back.