25: Trip...with A Twist

Jiya

I strided out slowly from the doorstep, a duffel bag in my hands. An odd sense of excitement took over me as my steps grew faster. The maroon colored van was parked right outside the gate, cheery faces inside. Vihaan stepped out of the driver seat; wearing a plain white button up shirt - with the first two open - accommodating pale green shorts, it was clearly obvious he was in a vacation mood. And when he caught me staring, the smirk on his face deepened even more, making a rush of heat reach my face.

He gently shut the door and started walking towards me, probably to take a hold of my bag. Before I could open my mouth to deny his request, he brushed right past me, heading towards something else. It took a second to turn around to see he was actually headed to...someone else. My mother on the doorstep.

"Give your bags to me Aunty, I'll take it," he said in a polite voice. By now, everyone was out of the car, the same looks of confusion as me, as we watched Vihaan and Mumma walk towards us. She looked quite thrilled; dressed up with her travel bag.

Strikingly, it all made perfect sense now.

How easily she was convinced to let me go....only because she would be joining me. Vihaan already talked to her, perhaps before I even asked Mumma for permission. My face flushed apologetically and possibly embarrassment. But the others were quick to notice and joined me right by my side.
"Hey it's completely okay," Rishi inserted confidently.

"As long as you're coming with us, nothing else matters," Ria added, receiving nods of agreement in return.

Vihaan grabbed Mumma's bag and loaded them into the trunk of the car.

"I surprised you, didn't I?" she chirped excitedly at me. I could only smile in return, one that didn't seem to be as bright as I expected.

As I was loading my own bag into the trunk, I turned to Vihaan, "You didn't have to do this for me. I don't want to spoil-"

My voice dropped off as I felt Vihaan's hands envelop mine as he helped load. "What are you talking about?" he asked, oblivious, then walking off.

"Hold on, hold on," Vicky said before I could get in. "Come sit in the front Jiya."

"But why? I'm fine back here," I asked, confused, glancing at Vihaan, who was already behind the wheel. He shrugged in return, failing to hide a satisfied grin.

"They're persisting, beta. You love to sit in the front right? Go there and sit," Mumma ordered.

Everyone stifled a laugh as Vicky lowered his voice, "Bhabhi please sit in the front. I insist."

I froze, my face growing hotter as the realization hit me. Vihaan must have told everyone about yesterday! He held the door open for the passenger side and I quickly got in, not looking at the backseat riders who could throw dangerous teasing looks any moment.

"Everyone ready?" Vihaan asked, glancing in the rearview mirror. With approval, the road trip had begun.

~~

I looked at the layout of the car. Me and Vihaan in the front. Jay, Rishi, Ria in the middle. And Vicky and my mother in the very last row. The trip ran awkwardly for a while, everyone afraid of saying something wrong in front of a parent. The assumption made me frown in hesitation even more. And only one person noticed my dilemma.

"Vicky..." Vihaan enunciated, looking through the front mirror, his voice hinting at something only Vicky could understand.

"Umm yeah--Aunty..." Vicky turned around suddenly, grabbing my mother's attention. "D-did you pack any...um...food! Did you pack any snacks for the ride?"