19: Painful Attachment - A Flashback

Jiya

Varun's...sister?!

I didn't realize I said that out loud, before Vicky replied. "Oh you know already? Yes, Varun's sister."

"I accept this deal."

"I figured." he replied knowingly. "2 years ago..."

________

"Did you guys even understand what today's class was?" Vicky muttered in frustration.

Rishi grinned in response. "Something about--"

"Is she that new girl?"

All four heads turned in the direction of a table beside theirs. She was pretty. Really pretty. Pretty enough to not only make those 4 turn around, but all the other boys in the canteen as well. And that oddly irked Vihaan.

"Don't you think she looks lonely?" Jay raised an eyebrow, knowingly, in Vihaan's direction. They were all friends - more like brothers - and they knew exactly what sparked each other's attention.

"Yeah, but not anymore." Vihaan stood up. "Watch and learn."

He strolled over to the empty table she was sitting at, a bright smile decorating his face. "Hey, I'm Vihaan Khatri."

She looked up in surprise. Yet, a tiny hint of relief could be seen in her eyes. "H-hi. I'm Laila Raichand."

"Looks like she's a sister to us now. Who's buying the rakhis?" Vicky whispered, back at the table. The three hushed into silent laughs as a lingering conversation took place right beside them.

And that was the start indeed.

~~

It was a bright sunny day in the park; the aura of the atmosphere, itself, proved a pleasant surprise would make its way later that day.

Laila saw Vihaan walking towards her, hiding something behind his back. As Vihaan got closer, he could see the bouquet of yellow roses in her hands.

"Coming to add one to the bunch?" Laila teased.

"Nope," Vihaan replied. His mysterious smile lifted her curiosity.

"Then what's behind your back?" Laila tried to look, but he kept dodging her attempts.

"Acha baba, fine. I'll show you." Vihaan brought his hand out front, holding a red rose.

"A red rose? You do realize, it's friendship day?" Laila asked, holding up her bunch of yellow roses.

"Oh is it? My bad...Well, I hope you don't reject me. I've brought this rose with great hopes," Vihaan stepped closer.

Laila pretended to consider the offer, scrunching her face as if thinking.

"Just pretend it's a yellow one. Use your imagination?"

"Nope," Laila replied, determined.

"What?"

"Nope, I won't imagine it's yellow." This time, Laila stepped forward, as she accepted the red rose from Vihaan. A childish smile crept onto Vihaan's face in realization, as Laila returned his emotion.

"Sooo...." Vihaan trailed off.

"Sooo...?"

"Friends?"