34: The Engagement

Vihaan

A few months later

"Mic testing...1...5...OKAY! Good enough. Beloved friends and family members, welcome to the engagement of the patient couple, Jiya and Vihaan, who have finally decided to get engaged! Settle down because we're about to revisit the past."

Very funny, Vicky. But, nevertheless, applause and laughter filled the air. Jiya and I were seated on the stage, while everyone else quickly settled in white-clothed seats stretched over the outdoor lawn.

"You're looking super gorgeous," I whispered, leaning out my seat so she could hear. She pushed me back straight, suppressing a blush. "Are you not going to compliment me back?"

All traces of embarrassment on her face were replaced with disbelief.

"I'm getting doubts about marrying this self-centered man," she muttered, loud enough to make me hear.

"Excuse me--"

"HEY! I'M TRYING TO MAKE YOUR ENGAGEMENT FUN HERE VIHAAN! PAY ATTENTION!" Vicky shouted, probably forgetting the fact that he had a mic for a reason. "Alright everyone, let's step back in time...

It was the first year of college. The main characters: the popular boy and the girl who preferred shadows. These two opposites shared one thing in common: competition. When they found each other to be a threat to their studies, they fought. Topper addictions, I can't relate you know.

But perhaps this tension between them was what brought them together. A project and bus ride triggered unknown feelings. They understood each other more, and grew considerably closer.

Right when a bright picture could've been made was when the mistake happened. They suffered. The distance between them making them crave for the absent love. Then she knew his past. The past which had made him a closed book.

When they reunited, they saw "relationship" in a new perspective. They gave each other a second try. And it was successful.

...Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for the beautiful journey Vihaan and Jiya shared!"

People were in tears as they applauded. The narration flashed back many memories. I snuck a glance at Jiya, who still seemed absorbed in the words. Life is going to be beautiful with her. And that's a fact.

Jiya

Vicky's speech left me absolutely speechless. Every word he said released a memory that I would cherish for the rest of my life. The rest of the party went by in a flash and I enjoyed every moment of it. Vihaan by my side, our parents blessings, and a very supportive friend group - what more could I ask for!

Finally, it was time. As I faced Vihaan, with his ring in my hand, the moment felt surreal. It was like everyone and everything disappeared and it was just the two of us there. And I was completely fine with that. I slipped the ring onto his finger, a thunderous clap erupted. He laced our hands together, our rings touching each other.

"With all that I have," he whispered, recalling one more memory from the endless we had.

"Us," I promised. 

🌷

~ The End ~