Chapter Fifteen

My hand flew to my boot as I spun around, pulling it from its sheath.

Grimeer's eyes were the predatory yellow of a wolf; they laughed as they beheld my weapon. There was a gaping wound on his face where the splinter from my guitar had pierced his cheek.

"I'll pay you back for this, girl," he said, lightly touching the gash. "But I will say I enjoy your spirit." He glowered at me. "I'd keep you for myself if I could. Teach you some manners."

"Try it," I hissed through clenched teeth. Ducking down, I grabbed the knife from my boot and held it at arm's length, jabbing it at him.

He blinked, cocking his head to one side. "You really have no idea what you're dealing with, do you?"

With a blur of motion, Grimeer lunged forward, striking a heavy blow on my wrist. The knife went spinning into the shadows.

The pepper spray was in the pocket of my hoodie, but before I could get it out, he struck me full across the face with the back of his hand.

Pain exploded across my cheekbone and I collapsed to my knees on the forest floor. Another blow knocked me to my belly, then I felt the horrible weight of a bare foot pressing down on my spine, pinning me to the earth.

I struggled to get up, but it was like fighting against stone. The pepper spray was trapped uselessly in my pocket, where I couldn't reach it.

Grimeer laughed, a bone-chilling sound in the darkness. "What did I tell you, girl? Humans are so pathetically weak."

He sighed with disappointment. "This isn't going to take long at all, is it? Well, I guess I'll have to enjoy it while I can."

My head was turned to one side to avoid breathing in dirt, so I saw Grimeer bend down to my eye level and show me as his fingernails elongated into huge claws.

"I want to hear you scream, girl," he growled, raking one razor-sharp point down the side of my arm. My sweatshirt split apart like it was made of mist instead of sturdy cotton. Searing pain shot through my body as blood welled to the surface.

I gritted my teeth, refusing to give him the satisfaction he wanted.

Grimeer chuckled, an evil sound. "That's right. Pretend to be strong. We'll get there."

He lashed me lightly across my back with all five claws. The pain was incredible, like I was being sliced with five knives at once. I bit into the flesh of my arm to stop from screaming.

Grimeer was breathing hard, from excitement rather than tiredness. He was enjoying this.

I vowed that if I somehow managed to live through this, I would repay the favor.

He reared back to strike again.

"Grimeer!" A shout came from the dark trees. The huge man paused, but didn't release his hold on me.

Through the darkness, I could just make out the looming shapes of two immense wolves and one powerfully built man in a heavy wool coat. Grimeer's cronies from earlier.

"You were right," the one in human form said, looking at me. "The vermin came for her mate. The alpha will be pleased."

His keener eyesight took in my prone form, my bleeding back. "We're supposed to bring her back alive. Samson wants to punish them together."

Together.

Even though I was bleeding and terrified, I felt a rush of joy.

We were still both alive. Which meant things weren't over yet.