Chapter Thirteen:

It was almost impossible to find Bones in the great Manor. There were several doors in one room, and then, they lead to other rooms and hallways. They seemed like they were moving place almost every second.

But Nevaeh finally found the gallery after ten minutes, where Bones was waiting behind the door. 

"You were long- delay?" said Bones, closing the door behind her. 

"Something like that," she said. Nevaeh looked down at the floor. 

Bones gazed at the red finger prints without saying a word, until Nevaeh noticed his curious glare in the corner of her eye and pulled her sleeve over the marks. Bones looked away.

"We're going to the Human world for your lesson today," he said. "I'll show you how to be a good reaper- hopefully."

Nevaeh smiled and grabbed the scythe Bones handed her. Bones dug inside his pocket, cursing whenever the key slipped between his fingers. After a few minutes of constant searching, he pulled out the key, which had left brown rust at the tip of his fingers.

 "Watch this," he said, grinning wildly. Bones stepped closer to the wall, peeking through a small crack in the wall where he placed the key. Nevaeh looked at him, confused. "Wait for it..." he said, biting his lip. Nevaeh turned around, watching the wall. She jumped as the walls began to shake brutally, and the wall paper cracked in some places, letting plaster and brick fall onto the floor. 

"What's happening," gasped Nevaeh. 

"The key's working," Bones told her. "Behind this wall is where we hide the portal- Hades used to try and steal it for himself, so we had to hide it here."

"I thought you could open it without the key, like you done when we were moving to the Human world," Nevaeh pointed out.

"The person who is holding the key can open the portal it has been created with- I had it in my pocket. But now, it's acting funny and won't open the portal unless it means breaking this wall everyday."

Nevaeh nodded. The key stopped ripping through the walls and made one final crack in the shape of a small door. Bones pushed the wall over, so they're was just an archway into darkness. He walked inside, leaving Nevaeh watching the wall with her mouth wide open. 

"C'mon," Bones shouted before the darkness swallowed him whole and neither him or his footsteps could be heard. Nevaeh ran inside.

"What's going to happen to the wall?" she asked.

"It fixes itself, but it can be really stubborn at times," he said. "But it'll do anything you want for jam."

"Jam?" 

"It's mad I tell you. Rub some jam over the cracks and it fixes itself."

He started to walk about, his arms stretched as he tried to balance in the darkness. He walked as if he had seen something moving along the floor. Nevaeh laughed. 

Nevaeh's purple eyes started to glow in the dark. 

"Ah ha," cried Bones suddenly. "I found the portal. Hop in, Nevaeh!"

Bones opened a door in the floor with a light shining behind it. Nevaeh walked over, worried about jumping into the portal- it was the same colour of her eyes. "Are you sure it's OK?" she asked, stepping closer towards the portal. 

"Yes, just jump into the portal, it's alright."

Nevaeh leaned over the portal and peered into the purple light that was shining on her face. "If it's going to be alright," she said, urging herself in, before she jumped into the light and vanished.