Chapter Two:

In seconds, Nevaeh had ran through the portal, holding her hands over her eyes for as long as she could. Nevaeh opened her eyes slowly, seeing a chipped brick wall infront of her, with bright red writing prinnted on it.

Behind the wall was a set of concrete stairs, where they led to a bridge, towering over Nevaeh and the railway tracks next to her; nobody was about this early in the morning.  

After Bones walked out, the portal closed, spinning until it disapeared with the wind. Death turned to Dusk, smiling. "Do you know where you're going?" he said.

"Of course," said Dusk, laughing. "The boys and I spent six months fixing that house up. Not to boast, but we did quite a good job."

"A very good job," said Death. "Anyway, We best be going. Our appartment is farther up town."

Whilst they talked, Nevaeh walked around, looking at everything with great curiosity, like a young baby, learning the ways of the outside world. "I'll see you later, then. All you need to do is send Thrindle when there's any trouble or you need us."

"We'll be fine," said Death, "But I'll keep that in mind."

Dusk looked back at the twins, who were sat by the train tracks.

"Get the bags, Bones!" he shouted. Bones, one of the two twins, jumped up from the floor, chucked the half the bags over his shoulder, leaving Spider to take the rest, and walked away from the tracks. The Reapers climbed the stairs and vanished.

"Where are we going?" asked Nevaeh. 

"We will be forced to travel a little farther to get to the appartments." Death picked up the suitcases, while Nevaeh dragged her's across the floor. They found the bus stop around the corner, where an old woman was waiting by the side of the road, her back to Death and Nevaeh. 

"Lovely morning," said the old woman, looking up at the cloudless blue sky. "Don't you think?"

"I agree," Death told her. He turned to Nevaeh, shaking his head when the woman wasn't looking. "Not really, he whispered. 

The cursed dispised everything about the light, mainly because they had lived all their lives in the dark, while Humans were given the bright sun. The cursed were people forced to live in the ruins of The Underworld.

The Underworld had been made for Hades to keep his souls when his home had become crowded with screaming souls. He tried to run away, but the souls followed him, so he stayed in his hide-out, away from everyone, apart from his captured souls. Most of the people and beasts in The Underworld were born their though, like Nevaeh. 

Hades asked Death I when they were young if he could help the God out, and asked him to collect in more souls, since The Fates were becoming elderly and couldn't keep working at their normal pace. 

"The bus is here," said Death, stealing Nevaeh's trai of thought. "Sit at the back, Nevaeh."

Nevaeh crept to the back of the bus whilst Death started to take the change from his pocket. "Are you hungry?" he asked, sitting down beside her. 

"A little bit. I didn't feel like trying Grandad's food at the leaving party."

Death laughed at her face as she thought of the food.

"Yes, he has a rather strange taste in food, doesn't he?" said Death, cringing at the thought of what had been on his living-room table. "I'll buy us something when we get off the bus- Humans have lots of food shops in their towns."

"Where did you get the money from?" she asked. 

"Let's leave it at dead souls won't need to spend money," he said grimly.

"Where will we be staying?" said Nevaeh, curiously.

"Dusk got us an appartment in a hotel uptown. It's a nice place and we will be staying there for a while, just until we've become use to living here. The rooms are quite small, but they'll make do for now. Maybe we can buy a house once we've lived here a while. We'll make it feel like home again."

Nevaeh turned to the window beside her, watching the crowds and queues in the streets. It was strange, a world far different from the one she had lived in all her life, so far.

"I think I might actually like it here. It'll be nice starting over again," said Nevaeh, resting her head on Death's shoulder.

"I know you will. It will be hard trying to keep a low profile. But we've got eachother," said Death, wrapping his arm around her. "And Thrindle," he added, looking down at the black crow sleeping on his lap.