S | The Ketchup Murder

On a clear night in Europe, Al was busy contemplating life

On a clear night in Europe, Al was busy contemplating life. She didn't know what to do: the stuff that was being thrown at her was too much for her to handle and she wished everyone could just leave her alone for a brief moment. The public management, the lesson department, and don't forget her personal life, school and friends were bugging her day and night.

She sighed and pushed herself away from her desk. Clovie just messaged her about her challenge for challenge weekend. Apparently, someone told Clovie that the challenge that was already on Al's profile didn't fulfil the requirements and so Clovie came to scream at Al in their PMs. Though, in the end, it appeared that they didn't look carefully enough and mistook Al's curator trials challenge for the challenge weekend challenge. After explaining and pointing out the confusion, the conversation died and Al had taken a breather.

Her screen lit up again as Sam messaged her. The message was something about BTS but at that moment, Al was feeling melancholy.

"Kill me," Al replied to Sam.

"Alright. Give me four hours and I'll be there," Sam joked.

Al grinned as she read Sam's message. Always joking, always trying to cheer people up.

Al put her phone back in her pocket and stood up from her chair to let herself fall onto her bed. After all the studying, she didn't want anything else than just sleep and sleep and sleep. Even though her exams weren't until next week, she was wishing they were already done. Because she was so tired, she fell asleep within minutes.

Al was awoken by a lot of strange sounds in the middle of the night. Blinking her sleepy eyes, she tried to adjust to the darkness so she could see her surroundings.

As soon as she put one foot out of bed, she was hit by the realisation that there was a cold liquid all over her bedroom floor. She screeched a high note and jumped back onto her bed. She grabbed her phone and put on the flashlight. A red substance was covering all of her bedroom floor. Her first thought was that is was blood: gory, chunky blood.

She didn't know what to do; she was freaking out. Should she call for her brother? Should she call the police? Should she keep silent? Who put all of this red slime in her room? Or... whatever it was?

Suddenly, her bedroom door slammed open and a dark figure was standing in the doorway. Al started screaming; she didn't know what else she could possibly do in this situation. "Who are you?! What is going on?!" were some of the questions that were audible in between the screaming, puffing and crying.

"It was you who called for me, Al," the sinister person spoke. "You requested me."

Chills were sent down Al's spine. Tears streamed down her face and stained her clothes.

The figure came closer. Al crawled all the way back until her back was pressed against the wall. She cried for help, but her calls stayed unanswered.

Even though the tears in her eyes blurred her vision, she was able to watch the figure raise their arm. In their hand was a strange object. A knife? A hammer? She couldn't see it clearly.

Al watched the figure's fingers move and then heard a very recognisable sound. She couldn't remember exactly what the sound was, but she did know she had heard it before.

"What do you want?!" Al sniffed. Her nose was stuffed due to the crying and she was praying the figure would leave her unharmed.

"Al, sweetie, you requested my services. I don't understand how you could forget?" The figure stepped even closer until she stepped into the moonlight and was finally visible to Al.

The scary person that had been creeping Al out was her good friend Sam.

"You were the one that asked me to kill you. You even chose your own murder weapon, remember?"

Al's eyes switched back to Sam's hand. She was holding a bottle of ketchup, and the sound Al just heard, was the sound of a bottle of ketchup opening up.

"Wait... what?" Al questioned whilst still crying.

"What's there not to understand, Al. Now, let's get this over with, shall we?" Sam closed the distance between the two of them. She grabbed Al's shirt and pulled her forward.

Al continued to scream again, calling out for her parents, her brother or anyone that could hear her. "Wait, no! No, Sam! Stop!"

Sam pushed the ketchup bottle into Al's mouth and made sure it was in far enough so the ketchup would fill her throat instead of spilling out via her mouth. She started to squirt all of the ketchup into Al's throat. It went half into the trachea and the other part of the ketchup went into the oesophagus.

As much as Al tried fighting Sam off, her body was more concerned about not chocking than punching the person responsible. Sam made sure Al didn't pull away by pinning her down on the bed. The ketchup was blocking Al's airway and the sour irony taste was burning in the back of her mouth.

Slowly, her body became weak until her whole body stopped moving. Sam let go of Al and watched her for a moment.

"I'm sorry Al. If someone asks me to come and kill them, especially when they challenge me with an unconventional weapon, then I will not turn that offer down. Be careful what you wish for."