"You sure there wasn't any bleeding," growled Shockwave.

"Yes, I'm certain," proclaimed a husky, masculine voice. "Back me up, Misty."

"Her brain activity is still unstable," answered a calm feminine voice that Elaina paired with the person who had been informing Shockwave of her return to consciousness. "However, that is from disorientation and the sudden impact of the ammonia. Nothing is reading as an internal injury other than some bruising that will subside in a week or two."

A couple of weeks, Elaina groaned inwardly. Fuck these assholes. They wouldn't be so nonchalant about it if they felt this pain. Oh, she thought with a sudden burst of energy, there's an idea.

"I don't have a week or two. He's going to be here any minute and we need to..." A sudden cry poured from his gaping mouth, cutting Shockwave's words short.

"What is it?" asked the husky voice.

"My skull, it's...it's..."

"Oh, we'll have none of that," interjected Misty, right before Elaina felt herself slammed into a mental wall. Which in no way helped her headache. As she hissed in pain, Misty continued. "I'm a telepath, there won't be any illusions here today, though I will admit that is quite a powerful trick you have there."

"The fuck," growled Shockwave, "if that was an illusion, why does it still hurt?"

With time settling her stomach and clearing her eyes, Elaina surroundings took form. She was in a tall chamber that looked a bit like an auditorium and she sat beneath the spotlight intended for the podium behind her. Standing in a semi-circle around her were four figures—an agitated Karina, a growling Shockwave, a lithe, elegant woman, and a thick, squat man. She knew that everyone, except maybe Karina, had to be members of Fortress. However, they were all wearing street clothes and appeared as normal as any other human being.

"Her powers may be meant to deceive, but to do so, she is effectively altering your brain chemistry to perceive her intended illusion. So, your head is still trying to re-stabilize. Here, give me a moment." The tall, lean woman, who Elaina was certain was Misty, stepped forward and placed her hand upon the side of Shockwave's head. Elaina watched his tense torso ease beneath the telepath's gentle touch, and after a moment of healing, he leaned his cheek into her palm and twisted his neck so his lips could plant a kiss upon her skin. Elaina also noticed Karina's face grow a shade darker. It seemed her tutor was striking out with all the eligible bachelors in San Francisco.

"Excuse me," said Elaina, who finally realized her inability to move was due to being bound to a chair and not from her fainting spell. "Why the fuck am I here?"

"You," said Shockwave, turning from Misty and pointing a finger in Elaina's direction, "caused quite a scene at the gala."

"I told you not to touch me."

"I suppose you warned me." His smile faltered as his teeth ground down some words he wasn't willing or able to share. "Now, I can attest to the power you have. A lot of our telepaths can influence emotions when they invade minds, but none of them can create a mass hallucination like you do. That is a power unlike anything we've seen, which is why we'd like to offer you the prestigious honor of being a member of the Fortress." His smile had recovered and an array of white teeth flashed at her, while Misty and the man by her side nodded their appreciation.

Her brow furrowed as she turned to Karina, who stood with arms crossed and her foot tapping.

"Did you join recently or were you always a member?"

"I'm the newest recruit," she said with a proud smile, though Shockwave was quick to knock her down.

"She's applying for a position with us, though her talents may be better used in Fortress' Rockies division."