Motivation

He never intended to kill her

He never intended to kill her. Mainly because he couldn't stomach killing someone twice.

He shivered at the thought. Despite the horror she unleashed at his gala without breaking a sweat, he couldn't forget the angelic face that watched over him that night. He still recalled how she strained every muscle in her body to pull him to safety so Shockwave couldn't return to finish his work. The gentle sensations that filled his feverish dreams, as she cleaned his wounds and mended his tears, had left a permanent impression on his skin. She'd seen him in what had to be some of his most embarrassing moments, yet she playfully teased in a way that got him to laugh and find humor in his agony. And he knew that no other woman would ever compare to how she looked in the moonlight. He could still picture her lowering her hips upon his while her kisses traced the curve of his skin with a soft caress.

"You understand," he said once the helicopter's engine silenced, "that my goal is to open the world's eyes to the dangers of the Gifted."

"So you tell me," she answered, before willingly raising her hands up to one of his guards. The man looked back at his employer and the squad of heavily armed personnel that had come out to meet this new guest at the Cramer estate. Rococo had arranged the welcoming party expecting resistance, but though Dominic didn't know what Mir's intentions were, he knew she would not attack them. At least not yet.

He gave the guard a nod, and then manacles were placed over her wrists.

"And you understand that you have just proven yourself to be a very powerful Gifted, the likes of which I've never seen before."

"So I see." She stood still as the guard, then secured another set of manacles around her ankles.

"And you understand that, for now, I need some time to think about whether we can trust you to be set free."

At this, her lips twisted in a smirk.

"Oh, Cat, you should really be questioning if it is safe to keep me locked up with you."

Dominic heard how his elite militia shifted their weight and adjusted their grip upon their guns. Rococo and Bauhaus trained the tactical force with a focus on tracking, detaining, and sometimes executing Gifted. However, most of the training centered on individuals with physical manifestations of their gifts. Mentally imbued Gifted were hard to come by and even harder to understand. His crew wasn't afraid. Wary, on the other hand, that was a different matter.

"Perhaps." He scratched the back of his head and took in the image of the ravishing woman bound before him. His home sat upon a hill, where the wind was bold and fierce. It whipped strands of her inky hair from her bun and tugged at the cowl neck of her dress, which already exposed a significant stretch of her succulent skin. He knew his desire for her wasn't what her words meant, but her warning still struck a cord within him. He turned away and continued on while watching her from the corner of his eye. "That being said, know that I am aware that the woman in front of me might be an illusion."