Burden

"Is she awake?"

"Is she awake?"

He'd been visiting her room every day for a week and her greeting was always the same. At least today he had a different answer.

"Yes."

She shuddered as a breath escaped her. However, that's the only movement she granted. Despite the news, she continued to stare off towards the far side of her cell. Tudor spent her days switching out the artwork, photography, and tapestries that filled the room. She claimed something was off, that she hadn't found the right assortment of decor and furniture to create a comfortable home for Mir. However, Dominic knew she just wanted to keep his prisoner company. Mir only asked her question since the day Karina paid the consequence for actions. Otherwise, she remained as silent and still as stone.

He sighed. He hoped for questions, rants, words of any kind, but he accepted that the relaxing of her muscles was the only response he'd get from her. At least, for the moment. Dom stepped over to where she sat on the edge of her bed. After a second of hesitation, he took a seat next to her.

He watched her from the corner of his eye. A part of him wanted to reach his hand out and grab hers, but he thought better of it. There was a void between them he couldn't cross. It didn't matter if his dagger found its mark or not so many months ago; he had still damaged her beyond repair and after Karina revealed Mir's scars; he didn't want to open that particular wound as well.

"She's awake, Mir," he reiterated, his voice soft. "The swelling is down, her nose is healing, and there shouldn't be any long-term effects. Civic assures me the forehead is sturdy enough to handle blows like the ones Karina took. Since it was self-inflicted, she just wasn't strong enough to create the kind of trauma necessary for permanent damage."

Mir hiccuped back a sob and a sheen of tears glittered in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, if you're still not ready to talk."

He pushed his palms against the mattress in his rise from the bed, but stopped in an instant when a small, clammy hand grabbed his.

"No," she said, her voice just above a whisper. "Please don't."

Dom heaved a sigh and sat back down. Again, his heart tugged him to reach out and pull her close. It tore at him, knowing he could give her a safe space to hide her face and cry her tears without fear of anyone watching. Yet, he kept his distance, respecting the history between them.

"I'll stay for as long as you want and I'll talk if you need to. Know that I don't judge you for what happened in there. What Karina did was..."

"Rough, but important."

Surprised by her response, he looked over and found her gazing back at him with a fierceness in her tired eyes. "She was right. When I see reminders of my past, I lose my grip on the reins. I thought I'd come to terms with it all. I thought I needed just a bit more discipline to prove to you that I can be a functioning member of society. But there are going to be things that remind me of Melissa and sometimes those things are going to trigger me. She is, after all, the reason I disappeared in the first place."