26. the humble touch!

CHAPTER 26

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE HUMBLE TOUCH!

*:・゚✧

Come on. Let's do it; you promised. I need to get this tension out of my system, anyway.

Gaia had insisted, looking at Mando with actual pleading eyes which had made her sharp features go pleasantly soft; posture slacked in anticipation. He couldn't resist, even when her wound was still swathed in gauze which Peli had helped wrap around her three weeks ago back on Tatooine. Gaia's injury is healing although Mando fears it might reopen if he were to go too hard on her. She had dismissed his concern with a lazy gesture and told him that she's a lot tougher than she looks, that he's well aware she is. That, paired with his promise of taking her on in a fight as he had vowed back on Sorgan, made him unable to refuse her small request.

"You're going to get yourself hurt."

"No, I'm not," Gaia scoffs. "But I am going to throw your ass across the field. Unless. . ."

Mando tilts his head, wandering around in circles across the vast sand. "Unless what?"

"Unless you admit defeat right here, right now." Gaia sweeps her arms out, indicating to the desert around them. The Child murmurs off to the side and is observing the two adults.

"No chance," Mando objects. "I promised you a fight and that's what I'm going to give you."

"Good answer." Gaia offers him a gentle smile. She begins to move then, the brown jumpsuit Peli gave her shifting tightly around her body. After the whole mess with Toro betraying them and all, her armor was damaged beyond repair and she had to get rid of it much to her annoyance. Not much else was available and she therefore had to settle for Peli's spare work-clothes in return. It's definitely not the best, but just doable.

"Scared, Djarin?"

"Me? No. But I am worried about your wound. You need to be careful, Gaia."

"Oh, I will. . . Right after I win!"

Gaia charges forward suddenly, her ankle boots stomping across the dipping sand. She nearly trips on the way yet she persists and attempts to go for a punch to Mando's face. As she had suspected, he dodges it. Though, instead of going for an attack seeing as she's open to the opportunity, he merely swerves out of the way and watches her intently. Gaia regains her composure, playfully lifting an eyebrow in question. He shrugs. She chuckles in amusement, taking it as her cue to take the lead and go for another hit, and another, and another — commencing a flurry of attacks which he once again evades. All of them. Gaia huffs, her attention sharpening.

Her focus hones in on Mando's body language. She deciphers his moves with precision and braces herself for another chance to go in, yet Mando breaks his defense formation before she's able to, swiftly striking at her until she blocks it with her forearm. Mando staggers, retaliating by successfully catching Gaia's fist next and withholding.