The Black Lake

Before any of you start reading this. This has mentions and attempts of suicide in this so if you don't want to read this then skip to the next chapter. If not then continue and enjoy :)

Draco was heading back to his dorm room that he shared with Hermione after a long day of school work. He knew that she would be there as she had a free period at the end of the day. He said goodbye to his friends and parted ways with them and headed in the direction of his room.

He reached the Head's dorm room and said the password to the painting of Dumbledore "Ferret and Bookworm". Dumbledore smiled at the mention of the password, even though he had heard it several times. Draco and Hermione had created it when they started dating as they thought it was funny. The painting swung open and Draco stepped inside to find the room dark and silent.

Odd. He thought to himself. Hermione's usually sat on the sofa with the fire blazing and doing her homework but she was no where to be seen.

"Hermione?" Draco called out with a slight worried tone to his voice.

There was no reply, only the sound of the harsh wind mixed with snow outside replied.

"Mione where are you? You're scaring me". He said again a bit louder this time, but was still met with silence.

He ran over to her room and swung open the door and rushed inside. The room was dark and empty and there was no sign that anyone had been in there for a while.

Draco's breathing picked up and panic started to fill up inside of him.

He continuously called out her name throughout the dorm as he checked all of the rooms. There was no sign of her and he had no idea where she was.

He came back into the main room where the living room was and collapsed on the sofa. He flicked his wand at the fireplace and fire appeared in it immediately lighting up the room.

Draco was about to bury his head in his hands in defeat when he caught sight of a piece of parchment on the coffee table in front of him. Recognising the handwriting sprawled across it to be Hermione's, he picked it up quickly and started scanning the words.

Draco,

I'm sorry love but I can't do this anymore. It's too much for me to handle. The anxiety is eating me alive and I can't deal with it anymore. You're all I have left and I'm doing nothing but bringing sadness into your life. Ever since I found out that my parents had passed away in Australia without even knowing that I existed I broke down. It's all my fault Draco, they died because of me. They'd still be here if I hadn't sent them away but now they're gone and I can't do anything about it.

Don't try to come and find me because I'll be gone before you do. I know what you're like and you'll try to come after me. Don't. Please don't. I want this. I'm just a burden on everyone and they will be much better without me here. The same for you. You need someone who won't bring you down and make your life such a misery.

This is what's right. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I love you Draco, but this is for the best.

Love your Hermione

Draco was filled with so many emotions he wasn't sure what to think. His heart had fallen to his feet after reading this and never in his life had he felt so heart broken. His witch, his girl, was so sad that she wanted to die? What kind of man would let his girl get to that state. He had to do something and he had to do it now.